Thursday, November 02, 2006

United We Stand; Divided I Fall Asleep?!

One of my first posts was about what I wanted to be when I grew up. Today, all I can think about is that when I grow up I want to be a Daddy.

Yesterday my boys, tired from the effort of trick or treating a minimal amount of houses, decided to fall asleep as we were walking to pick up Big J from school. That was at 3pm. No amount of freezing air, bumpy rides, undressing or transferring would wake them up. Mr. T awoke at 6:30pm starving, and at that point Little E was transferred to his bed since it seemed that he was done for the day. Not so. When he awoke at 8:30pm ready for breakfast and happier than ever to start his day... I was more than ready to end mine! I made them breakfast, read some stories and let them watch a “Little People” DVD. Of course, Big J was bawling that it wasn’t fair that they were up and she wasn’t. My argument was that if she had napped for even 5 minutes (versus Little E’s five hours) I would be letting her stay up, but since she hadn’t and she was obviously exhausted (see previous sentence which divulges fact that she is bawling) she had to go to bed. Mr. Man came home and let her stay up with the boys.

Everyone was in bed a little after 10pm (our usual bedtime is between 7 and 8). Mr. Man and I went to bed just after 11 and at least one of us had a good night’s sleep. While I was up and up and up with my wide awake annoying children who only seem to know how to holler “Mommy!” - somebody was enjoying a nice trip to dream land. Today while I deal with crabby, tired children who are crying over everything... Mr. Man gets to go to a nice quiet office all by himself and write a dissertation. Truly, I want to be a Daddy... at least today it looks like a good profession.

I’ve just declared nap time for an indefinite amount of time – nobody is allowed out of their rooms until they have fallen asleep. I know they need sleep, and I am positive I can’t go on without any either. I suppose if I were a Daddy I wouldn’t be able to do this; however, I wouldn’t need to – I’d be well rested from sleeping through the night!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Daddies are the only ones who sleep through the night at our house too!! It must be a part of their job description! My mom always used to say that in her next life she was going to come back as a dad, because everyone likes them better.

Anonymous said...

I think my dissertation title will be 'Those Black days and the Returns to Society from Nonlaboring Mothers on Thursdays.' Did I mention someone hates Thursdays?

Anne Marie said...

Being exhausted is one of the worst parts of being a mom. On one of those bleary days, it's hard to imagine ever having volunteered for the job.

Jenny said...

Some days I want to be a Daddy too! I TOTALLY relate to everything you said in this post!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...