Friday, November 10, 2006

Killer Imaginations

Our boys have been waking up way too early lately. In an attempt to silence them I have allowed them to crawl into bed with us. Two wiggly boys is a little difficult, however, and Mr. Man has declared it unacceptable. The new solution has been to tell them to go either go play in their bedroom or read books. Somehow, they have interpreted that as "go yell and fight with each other so that Mommy and Daddy have to get up!" In my moment of sleep-deprivation this morning, I found myself yelling back "I'm going to cut your heads off it you don't be quiet - that will teach you!"

How do I teach these boys to get along without us there? What are they fighting about?

Mr. Man and I had a moment of insight into the latter question this morning when we heard a shrill scream followed by Mr. T hysterically yelling the following at Little E:

"THEM NOT COOKIES, THEM BROWNIES! THEM HAVE CHOCOLATE ICING ON THEM - SO THEM BROWNIES!!!"


When I finally succumbed, arose and entered their room, there were blocks of all shapes and sizes scattered everywhere. Little E, with hand extended, smiled and offered me a "tootie (cookie) Mama". Mr. T just glared at him with a look that could kill.

How do I enforce love without stifling imagination? Basically, how can I sleep in till 7am without having my boys kill each other or threatening to do it myself?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I distinctly remember how happy Greg was when he reported to us that Julia was at a phase where you could leave the TV on the right channel, a bowl of dry cereal nearby and show her which button on the remote to push to get the cartoons going in the morning--go for it again!!

Ally said...

when you find a solution let me know.

Anonymous said...

How could I forget such great parenting skills? Only problem is that they like Oatmeal and will use the microwave without supervision.

Anne Marie said...

A question any parent would love to find the answer to. In another year or two, they'll probably be able to get along amicably on their own for a while. It was a great point when Taylor and Connor were doing that. Otherwise, you can wave the white flag and use the tube as a babysitter or get up and not think too hard about how early it is. Good luck. Conflict resolution is one of my least favorite parts of parenting.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...