Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Monkey See, Monkey Do

Picture this: It is closing exercises in Primary. The last 20 minutes of a three hour block of meetings at church on Sunday where about 65 kids ages 3 to 12 gather in a small room, on small chairs with small attention spans and are expected to sit still and listen to what a few small children have prepared all week. A spotlight child, a talk, a scripture and prayer and a few songs thrown in for good measure. I hate this time. It is always an impossibly loud and crazy time, and I hate that the children are being subjected to a few more minutes of expectations, but I also hate that they are bouncing around while children who have so diligently prepared are whispering their talks in the microphone and nobody can hear what they are saying. This past Sunday was particularly loud (though I find myself thinking that each week) and I was standing at the back of the room wanting to just scream! My friend, and counselor in the Primary Presidency, was conducting and basically talking to herself about whatever announcements there were, since nobody seemed to be listening, let alone facing the front. So, without thinking, I did it. I screamed. Not only did I scream, I screamed continuously jumping up and down, flapping my arms. Of course everyone turned, shocked, to stare at me... but I continued yelling "Ahhhhhhh.... I don't know how to behave in closing exercises... I have so much energy, and I don't know what I'm supposed to do? I keep looking around for some good examples, and I guess this is what I'm supposed to do... ahhhhhhhhh! What should I do?" Someone quietly made a suggestion, "Sit down Sister G." Then another, "Fold your arms, Sister G." I continued to yell. "I can sit down and fold my arms, but I don't know what to do with my mouth or my ears?" A few more voices chimed in, "Shhhhhh... be quiet and listen to the speaker." I bounced to the front of the room. "Okay. I'll just come sit up here quietly with my arms folded and watch you guys to see your good example so I know how to behave. Thank you." Of course they sat still and quiet for several minutes. A true feat. At one point they got loud again and my counselor reminded them, "Shhhh. We don't want Sister G to jump up and down screaming anymore!" No, we definitely don't want that. I'm still shocked that I did such a thing. But it just sort of slipped out. Embarrassing yes (especially since I'm told my skirt was bouncing up and down revealing a little much as well) but not too embarassing. I received a couple of calls from concerned parents who were mostly trying to put together the picture their children were describing, and my kids think I'm just crazy and haven't disowned me yet... so no harm done. It hab the desired effect, I was able to let go and relieve some inner stress and frustration, and if nothing else, closing exercises was a little less boring on Sunday.


17 comments:

Debbi said...

BAHHAAHAHAH.
What I would have done to have been in primary in your ward! That would have had me busting a gutt something fierce!! Way too funny! LOL

And a good idea.


But funnnnnny!

Andrea Hardee said...

That was most unexpected and fantastically delightful! I'm so glad you posted this.

Jodie said...

Oh MAN! I SO wish I was there to see that!! You are so cool. Seriously. And what a great way to relieve a little stress. :)

Anne Marie said...

That is absolutely hilarious!!! WIsh I could have been there to see it. Maybe I'll have to try something like that with my kids at FHE.

Shawny said...

Asked Rex about it, and he didn't know what I was talking about. Maybe he was lying under a chair during that part!

Net said...

I have to admit that my first thought was that after 4+ years in the Primary Presidency you had finally lost it! That's it, she is out of control. But then you pulled it all together in the end. I always love to see what new game/activity you come up with to keep the kids quiet. I can't wait to see you top this one next week! :)

Jennifer said...

That is absolutely perfect!!

singin'mama said...

Oh man! I'm so sorry to have missed that! Brilliant!

Carla said...

AH TOO FUNNY!! I love it! I've heard "mirroring" is an effective teaching technique, but I've never heard of this! I'm so sorry I missed that! Love It!

Brooke said...

You are HILARIOUS!! I can just see it now!!! Sorry you're frustrated, but dang! You're a trooper!!!

Mamabug said...

Carpe Diem! I think we all need a few moments like that. I find I get most frustrated when trying to leave the house with my kiddies and I really have to clamp my mouth to prevent too much stress relief!

rick and cheryl said...

That is one of the best things I've read all day. I think you need to come to our primary and do it there (240 kids). HELP!!
(Mamabug sent me your link. She's my sil-so you don't think some weirdo is stalking you.)

The Wilsons said...

Oh, my! I was right there in that primary room (in my imagination, at least), watching you...I can see the whole thing. Craziness! So I didn't do anything like that when I was there, but I _have_ been known to do a thing or two along those lines when teaching school...

Hoosier Mama said...

HILAR! You are so funny! I would have paid to see this!

Tony said...

Haha, the picture of the monkey at the end of the post says it all. Good for you for implementing some "unique" ways to gain the attention of your Primary kids!
It still amazes me that you teach 65! Wow...sure makes G-town ward small in comparison :D

LollyGirl said...

i LOVE it!! i LOVE your blog and your wisdom! i think of you often in my mothering and primary ventures! i came here today to tell you this little story and found a good laugh and good dose of realism, which is what i love most about you!

here's the little story: after some advice and strong feelings from doing my own research, i decided to distribute questions to the primary children based on the monthly themes as the format for our CSMP. each class was designated a theme w/ related questions to answer in their own words. yesterday, i was making reminder phone calls to bring the forms back on sunday. as i was saying my schpeel about why i was calling to one of the mothers, she cut me off mid sentence and asked why we were doing it this way. after giving her some of my reasons she gave me a nice "smile and nod" response. after i hung up, i was so bugged for a good while later and feeling insecure about my approach....that is until i thought of you and the comment that you'd left about your CSMP on my blog. when i remembered that you said you had the children answer questions and that they basically wrote it, all my anxiety vanished. if marjorie (that's what my brain still calls you) does it like this, it is good!! so thank you for always giving me your great feedback and encouragement!! i love that we're still in touch!!

Donna's Next Chapter Art said...

I had the same thoughts many times in Primary leadership, but never had the nerve to actually scream. When I read the rest of your post I realized your tactic of surprise really worked. That's great!

On the other hand, why do we expect young children to sit for hours in sacrament meeting and primary? It is not developmentally appropriate.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...