Thursday, February 21, 2008

Ramblings on Monotony

I thrive on order, schedules and certainty. Then why is it that I can’t stand the repetitiveness of constantly having to make the same shopping lists, continually having to pick up and clean house and the utter exhaustion when I think about having to make three more meals – every single day? As I’ve washed dish after dish, or dusted the top of my armoire at the start of each new day, I’ve pondered the need for repetitiveness, the cycle of it all and the purpose which I presume I should be picking up on. I believe that God has sent us here not only to have experiences, but to learn and grow from them and inevitably to become better and bless the lives of those around us. When I mop my floor, I always question what I should be learning from this horrid experience (that I always seem to put off for much longer than is healthy, inevitably ever only cleaning a layer off each time). How can I improve at scrubbing the toilet – does insisting that my boys wipe up their misses and dribbles count as sharing my knowledge and inspiring others? What can I learn from the fact that there are forty little fingernails in my house that need to be clipped at least once a week?


And yet, as crazy as it all has driven me, I’ve found comfort in the monotony of it all. Waking up each day to a new morning is monotonous, yet a beautiful blessing. As I sit and read the same book over and over again to my children, I can see why repetition can write a sweet story. The rigidity of schedule inspires me to find more moments for spontaneity, but it also arouses me to improve and perfect those constants that must, and will for ever more need to, be done. If I can accept that diaper blow out and smile as I bathe my baby for the umpteenth time in a row, I have conquered. When I consistently write my daughter a special note for her to read while I reluctantly make another school lunch, I am not only enduring, but pressing forward. Seasons come and go, and this time in my life will never come again. One day when the repetitiveness in my day consists of taking out my teeth to clean, and trying to recall which pills I need to take, I will miss the many crumbs I now have to constantly sweep up off my floor. I hope that I can learn the lessons now, so that I can share with my children the joy of knowing that even though it has to be done, it can be done well, and we can find happiness in the doing. Monotony, repetitiveness, whatever you may call it - can create something beautiful. And a beautiful life is definately worth living day after day...

13 comments:

Camille said...

Simply said, but wonderfully written. Your words of truth are truely an inspiration.

Jenny said...

Amen! Opposition in everything. How could we ever enjoy the exciting things without the boring monotonous ones around? But, like you said, the beauty is that we can still learn from and enjoy the mundane things just as much as the dramatic ones! I think you just found another chapter to the book that you need to write.

Anne Marie said...

You are such a gifted writer and a very insightful mama. Thank you for the great answers to the post I wrote yesterday. Those kiddos of yours are so beautiful.

Lori said...

I understand where you're coming from. Life is about working hard. You have to have that dissonance/static/hurdle - whatever you want to call it - in order to grow.

One thing my grandma told me after having my first baby that has helped is to "Do something creative every day". That helps me look forward to each day as a new opportunity to do something new.

Carla said...

Beautifully written, eternally true, and all mothers can relate. I'll eco the many others that have said it, you should write a book!

Hoosier Mama said...

girl, you have it all figured out. You are one of the people I aim to be more like!

ps. I have to apologize for our convo at church the other day, I know I didn't seem all the way there... it was crunch time for YW's and I was rushing trying to get my handouts done. Sorry I was a lame conversationist. I really would love to get together one of these days!

Jenn Baird said...

Now that I have one in college and three teenage girls I understand when people would say to me "enjoy them while they are little it will go fast". So hang in there with the repition pretty soon there will be none....ahhh teenagers!!!

Shauna said...

Beautiful! You really do have a way with words. Your thoughts are inspiring. :)

Amy said...

I love how you write. Its beautiful. I feel the same way about the beauty of monotony and the bodom of it as well. Makes me miss seeing you on a daily basis.

singin'mama said...

This entry is exactly what Sister Beck was talking about. Finding joy in the monotony is part of being "A Woman Who Knows". Julia will be a great mother because she has an amazing example. And, from what I've seen, you are a great mother because you had a mother who knows! The cycles do continue and it's up to us to keep the ball rolling in the right direction and hopefully improve the cycle as it is passed along. I would be the first in line to write a book written by you!

Rachel said...

Blown away! Wow, Renee! You really hit home with this one and wrote so beautifully! Thank you. I think we could all use this small, yet important reminder - NOW is the time!

Michelle said...

renee- what a great post! you are inspirational. it reminds me of a song that's out right now. it's called "you're gonna miss this" by trace adkins. take a listen - it will make you cry!

Stephanie said...

I feel much the same way. I feel it's such a blessing that as of now, these are some of my greatest trials in life...the things of monotony and how I feel like I'm sort of stuck in this time warp, only, I keep getting older.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...