Monday, March 31, 2008

Baby Fat

I’m going to start right now and tell you that some of you are not going to like this post. I’m going to vent about my flab, and I know many of you are rolling your eyes. I’ve hummed and hawed about writing about this, but decided that given the fact that I have suffered through four life-changing and body-altering pregnancies before turning 28, I deserve to get some weight off my chest – literally!

I have good genes, and have never really had to worry about or watch my weight. Correction, I never did until after I had kids. The first is the worst. Nobody tells you that really, you are going to be wearing the same clothes home from the hospital that you wore in. I was pretty happy with my first pregnancy, only gaining about 20lbs, as the book said, and couldn’t understand why others struggled with gaining too much or too little. When I stepped on the scale five days after being delivered of my 7 ½ lb baby, placenta, etc., I was horrified to see that I had actually gained weight and not lost any. Fortunately, my daily walks and good genes fixed that one and soon I was sporting my same clothes.

Pregnancy number two was the one where I was sick from day one till the day he was born. I lost 12 lbs and only gained 15 back… so really, it was a three pound pregnancy. Easy breezy to lose! I love our family picture when Mr. T was blessed at 2 weeks, I look fabulous. Skinny minny, big boobs… you know!

Number three was the killer. I gained 50 lbs! Mr. Man told me later that he was worried my rear would never look the same. It took me a long time to lose all of that. But I did have three kids three and under to chase after, and so a year later it was all gone and I was the tinniest I’ve ever been… actually fitting a size four. Don’t hate me… I will never be a size four again. Still, those skirts I bought that spring still look so pretty hanging in my closet!

So now almost eight months postpartum, I am sitting here on my big fat rear (which I now fear will never be the same), feeling the flab fold over my jeans and wondering what I need to do to make this just go away. I’ve been waiting for months. Apparently it’s not leaving on its own and I’m going to have to do something about it. Can I just tell you how much that sucks. I took pictures, but am disgusted enough myself not to post them for you. At night when I lay on my side and the flab jiggles over to join me… ughh. I have no more pregnancies looming, I have swimsuit season staring me in the face, and I need to stop eating so much decadent Easter candy and such and get my butt in gear to get fit. Finally I’m going to have to work for this, and it more than serves me right. I’ve been a lazy pig and a definite free rider.

I am wondering though – which one of you stole my fairy godmother – I prefer the wave the wand and lose the weight way better.

17 comments:

Kendra said...

Im with totally with you. I so took for granted my skinny size 0-2 body when I had it, of course, before kids. But, I've completely come to terms with my couple of sizes bigger body...considering the fact that I gain 40+ lbs. with each pregnancy I don't think I can give myself that hard of a time. I'm sure though that when I get to the point in my life when I'm done procreating I will do all that it takes to be little again. My mom has been a great example to me. She had 8 kids and was never super skinny growing up but she's finally taken the time to exercise over the past few years and she looks fabulous! All this to say "You Can Do It!" or "Go, Fight, Win!" or whatever. You can be skinny minny again... it's just going to take a lot more work than it used to:) Good luck with that.

Andrea Hardee said...

You know, someone out there has to have the good genes. In a way, having it easy the first couple of times makes it all the harder when it comes time to work it off, so I sure don't envy you that change of mindset at all. Good luck and keep us posted re: what works out for you.

Shawny said...

Since I'm only on my second child, I'm definitely not in a position to give any advice. I think you look fabulous, but I know the thought that "it's not what others think, it's what I think." I worried myself sick when pregnant with #1 and gaining 45 pounds. I was even more worried with #2 because I had always heard that weight loss after the second is so much more difficult. I did, however, give myself a little more leeway the second time around when it came to losing it. I didn't really lose all of it until the first year was up and it kind of just melted away. It was weird. Maybe the same will happen to you when you reach the year mark. All that being said, I really do think you look great and would die for your long lean figure! But you know, you can always jump on the "no candy or eating after dinner" bandwagon with me. We could have a little competitive fun! I've honestly felt a huge difference. And, when it warms up, I'd love to start walking so do keep me in mind!

libbie said...

Oh I can so relate. My hips will never be the same. They are so wide . . . The things we sacrifice for our children! But Think of it on the bright side. At least you had a killer body at one time! I never have! I have always been a little chunky! I usually can't even worry about losing weight until I am done breast feeding, because I am so ravenous I want to eat everything in sight . . . . and my goodness . . . I do!

Dana and ohana said...

I know exactly how you feel. I hate not feeling like me. I gained 100 lbs when I was preggers with Braley becuase of these anti contraction pills they gave me and it ALL came off plus another 10 lbs. Loved it! With Ansen I put on 25 and i am still a cow! Frustrating! Anyway--to make a sob story short, I have finally been working out and I love it. I feel better (looking better will come!) Good luck, keep us updated.

singin'mama said...

Well, I have to be honest. I am throwing up all over my computer keyboard. If you have flab I may as well just shoot myself now and get it over with! No, I'm kidding. I know that this subject is extremely relative. If you are used to being a size 0 then I can understand how your body would feel it more. In my case however, I've been so fat for so long that 20 lbs can come and go and I can hardly tell. Usually it comes not goes....hm..anyway, hang in there. And if Mr. Man says anything about your hot butt being fat again, I'll have to pound him! Sorry this post is sounding very weird. PMS I guess!

Brooke said...

I feel ya there! I still have only one pair of pants that fit me and they are my sister's fat pants! I hate going out in public because 1- I have nothing to wear and 2- people keep asking me when I'm due!:'( Thanks! Thanks everyone! I can't wait till I can work out so I can run my 3 1/2 month pregnancy off!! If you're anything like me, (which I know you're not) it will take blood sweat and tears to get that off! Hope it works out easier for you than it does for me...... wait! no I don't!!! That's just one more person that looks better than me! ;)

Anonymous said...

Having an intimate account of the whole situation I can tell you .... I guess this would be a time to keep my fingers from typing the realy truth!

Mr. Man

Carla said...

Well, at least you've got good genes. it'll still come off way easy. but i'm totally with you, it sucks when you have to start working for it at all! I'm not complaining though b/c i'm still at the point that only a few tiny changes make all the difference for me. anyway, good luck and happy thinning: )

Anne Marie said...

It's gotten harder each time for me...I think considering all the stress and work involved in motherhood, it would seem like a just reward to become sexier and more beautiful with each pregnancy. But, seriously, you are such a beautiful person, with or without some extra pounds.

Lydia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Camille said...

The trick for me is walking and yoga. Kickboxing definitely works, but takes to much energy and time.

Jennifer said...

oh how comforting it has been to be in the bloggin world and realize we are all wondering and fretting about the same things. But truly tall and skinny come to my mind when I remember you.

Laurie said...

I've learned that "baby fat" is not so much a number goal. It's more of a mind thing. After 6 kids, I still didn't have a problem eventually fitting back into my old sizes and the scale numbers were liveable. But it's the stretch marks, and the deflated belly and chest that kill me. It's learning to let go of my idea of perfection and being happy with whatever I have left at the end of the day. It's okay to vent.

Michelle said...

oh, my friend. i empathize with you 100%. let me know if you get some inspiration as to how to conquer it all - i need it!

Sarah said...

You're funny! I've tried to gain a bit just to get my boobs back! We're just never happy. It's odd though to have your body changed so much. I'm skinny, but I still have my issues with some of the other changes. I hope you can feel better soon. I am proud of you for being willing to do something to make yourself feel better! So, feel better you will :)Oh, OperaMommy, you have always been one of the prettiest women I know!

Hoosier Mama said...

easter candy is my devil right now. i think i ate the last of it today. i wonder what I am going to go for when my 2:00 sugar fix needs to be fixed. Yikes.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...