Wednesday, February 06, 2008

I'm Dreaming of Kerflop

Years ago I was on a website stealing fun and crafty kid ideas when I came across an article about “blogs we enjoy”. Blog was an interesting enough word, and the idea behind blogging – it being an online journal – enticed me as I’ve kept a journal of some sort since I was three years old. So I clicked and followed the linky-links. I wish I could remember when this was exactly, but it was at least a couple of years before I even dared to enter my own thoughts and life onto the world wide web. One of the blogs I visited was “Very Mom” (now Kerflop). She was my “first” and as such, it definitely felt like love at first site (pun intended). I connected with this person, and yet held her on a pedestal at the same time. I felt scandalous as I read through her archives and pored through her birth stories. I shrieked at her tales that echoed my life, and marveled at her ability to keep all her balls in the air. I adored her writing, and still do. She can bring so much life into everyday moments, and establish such a reality and connection to the point that I feel like I know her. And yet, I have every reason to believe that she has no idea that I exist.

So the scary thing is that she was in my dream last night. I know, freaky. I don’t remember much of the dream (sorry!) but I awoke pondering the perplexities of penmanship and purpose of blogging, and wondering how it could happen that Kerflop had so clearly been a participant in my dream.

Years have passed since I first “met” her. I still get excited when my reader shows that she has “updated”. And yet, now I’m at a very different point in my blogging life. She is no longer my one and only. I actively read about 73 blogs (much to my husband’s chagrin) and only 3 of those are people I haven’t met. The rest of you are people from all of my lives – my high school era, my freshman year, our BYU-Hawaii era, our Kansas era and the here and now. And so I’ve decided that Kerflop holds a special place in my heart, she has a unique position to uphold in my life as my first, and undeniably my inspiration to post intimate details of my life on the internet. I hope you will follow the linky-link and explore her exploits on life and learn to like her as I do.

I’ve decided I’m going to list links on my blog again, if you don’t mind me linking to you please put a comment here.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Renee who? Last time I saw her, her back was to me as she was communicating on the world wide web. This entry solidifies my decision to NOT get her a MAC laptop. At least I know where she is if not who.

Mr. Man.

Camie said...

Go ahead and link me--just no last names please!

Marci said...

We would be more than happy if you linked others to our blog.

Jodie said...

And I thought 64 was a lot in my reader (I guess it still is...).

I would prefer NOT to be linked, but not because I don't like you, of course (and not like people couldn't find me if they wanted to anyways!) :)

Shawny said...

Totally enjoyed this post Renee! I only wish I could express myself the way that you and Ms. Kerflop do!

Shawny said...

Oh, and no link for us. But you already knew that. :)

Ally said...

Feel free to add me to your linky links!

Rachel Clare said...

You're right. She's a good blogger.

Nicole said...

I don't mind being added to your link list, I love reading your blog, and I get so much out of it. Thanks for all the exciting and well worded posts!

Laurie said...

You personally know 70 people who blog? WOW! I feel honored to be amongst the 3 that you haven't actually met. You can link to me, just please don't use my last name. (do you know my last name?) I love blogging for all the same things that you wrote about. Actually, that's what I did to you. Ask Lynnette! They came out to visit and I started talking about you being on bed rest and you kids playing in the water in your back yard, you know, like I was your best friend, and Neal says something like, how do you know her (he was very confused) so I told him I read your blog and that I couldn't wait for your baby to come so that you could get back into a more normal routine and I went on and on, and I know that both Neal and Lynnette thought that I was completely nuts. I love your blog! And maybe someday we will meet in person but it doesn't matter because I still think of you as Lynnette's friend that she shares with me.

Hoosier Mama said...

I think your blog is one of my favs. You should write a book or something. Like you explained with your Kerplof gal, I find myself relating really well to your stories and I just love reading them!

Shauna said...

Just love your blog, your style, your writing and cute family. You can add our link if you wish. :)

LollyGirl said...

i heart my many coloured days!! you may link to me.

Dana and ohana said...

add us too! we love keeping up on your fun life!

LollyGirl said...

p.s. i need more info. on your reader. am i out of the loop. i think so. please fill me in.

Jessica said...

Aww, thank you so much! And der, I know you exist. Phhuubbbtt.

Net said...

You can link us.

Anne Marie said...

Feel free to link to us. Just no last names.

Lori said...

you can link me - also no last names or names of cities. thanks.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...