Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Tightwad Valentines

I enjoy getting crafty for the kids' valentines. This year however, I spent what pennies I had on my own valentine cards and then the kids were left with whatever we had in the house. We stole our first idea from Mrs. Creative Genius who "upcycled her crayons", and used all our old crayons and melted them into heart molds. Very cute indeed. I had wanted to attach them to hearts somehow, but didn't have something sticky enough, and not wanting to spend any more pennies, we used little ziplock bags that we had. (Mr. T insists that he will have to tell his friends that they can NOT eat them - though they should stay fresh!) Miss J also had fun with some cute valentine ribbons I had. She cut them to bracelet length and attached velcro, so all her little girlfriends can sport some heart homemade bracelets. We've had fun, and I'm excited for them to have something different to hand out - and something that isn't candy! (I'm sure we'll get enough of that good stuff as it is!)



Mr. Man and I have a long-standing tradition of giving something homemade for Valentines Day... so it's nice to start that with the kids too.

7 comments:

Kate said...

Oh man girl they turned out so cute! Very impressive, since I only made 12 stars and wouldn't even attempt trying to make enough for the girls classes ... 46 stars ... that would have me seeing stars.

Marci said...

Wow! What a great idea! I love it....so cute. Happy Valentine's Day!!

Rachel said...

The hearts are awesome! What a simple, but brilliant idea with the ribbon and velcro, too! A fun tradition and I hear ya on the candy thing -yuck, too much, too much! It's nice to have moms like you around that offer a fun, non-candy alternative! :)

Unknown said...

You are becoming more creative the wiser and older you become. But I still gave your mother chocolates!!:)

Anne Marie said...

Great idea. I really love those hearts.

Hoosier Mama said...

oooooh aaaaaaah - i love this idea - i will have to remember this for next year. very kid friendly i am sure and sosososo cute!!! hope you guys have a wonderful vday!

Shauna said...

What a great idea! We just might have to try it. I really like it that your little family has emphazied love over candy. I've been throwing candy out for the past two days. . .

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...