Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Our Trip: Part II

At long last we stopped at our destination: Killarney. The rain had stopped and it was beautiful. We enjoyed several days in a cabin and at Grandma and Papa’s boat. We went hiking, swimming, fishing, exploring, boating and were outside from sun-up to sun-down. The fresh air was remarkable and it felt so healthy to be outside so much.

Baby J found his sea legs before his land legs, and began walking on the boat! He also had his first wasp sting while hiking… so sad. The other three were grand explorers and loved all the rock-climbing that was to be had. Each took turns sleeping on the boat with their grandparents, though the one gone was always sorely missed by siblings early the next morning.

Mr. Man aged well on our trip and turned the ripe old age of 30. We celebrated with fish and chips, cheesecake with a blueberry sauce made from wild blueberries that Miss J had picked as her gift, and then a sailboat ride for him and I sans children. It was my first time and was really relaxing despite my fears and trepidation while signing all the waivers!

The days went by quickly and soon we were returning home. We split up our journey again, stopping our first night at one of our favourite spot from vacations past, Driftwood Cove. We arrived after seven at night, but that didn’t stop us from spending a few hours on the beach before baths and bed.



We started again early the next day and drove to my parents. Mr. Man and I enjoyed taking naps and letting the kids roam and play outside and inside with all the legos, enjoying their last few hours with Uncle before we won’t see him again for two years.





Some of you may remember the bad news from Mr. Man’s birthday last year, when my youngest brother was in a terrible car accident. His remarkable recovery has been miracle after miracle. In less than a year he has re-learned to walk, talk, think and re-act. Were you to meet him, you would never know that he had suffered a severe brain injury. I don’t ever think my brother will be “normal” though – he is remarkable. He leaves early next week to serve a mission for our church, to share his sweet testimony and serve all those around him. We will miss him; he has been a big part of our family’s life, and the kids worship him endlessly.

Sunday was his farewell talk and open house. We were glad to see my other brother and his wife and enjoy their company again too, as we celebrated our baby brother’s milestone.


We left before the sun rose yesterday and were all sick and tired of being in the van by the time we made it home. We have done a lot and the kids have many fun stories and adventures to share and write about in their journals. But in the end, there is no place like home. (Except for a home with no laundry!!!)

4 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Those pics of the kids playing in the water and climbing rocks look so magical. What a great place to vacation. Congrats to your brother. HOw wonderful that he has recovered so well from that accident. You look very gorgeous and tanned. Happy Birthday to Mr. Man! Welcome to the 30's.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you had a great time on your vacation! The photos are wonderful. Also, thank you for the phone call to check in. As of now (Thursday afternoon), I am sans baby...and getting very cranky. I never imagined that I could be so irritable toward my family! Anyway, I have an OB appointment later today, so maybe I'll have good news...(but I'm not going to hold my breath). Perhaps we will see each other tomorrow? :-)

Mamabug said...

Looks like a great time was had by all. Hooray for your brother - that truly is a miracle!

d d p h o t o g r a p h y said...

im so mad at myself! I was in church that day for Kyle's farewell talk..I saw you sitting with your family, and when it was over I wanted to come say HI! but i was ambushed by a few other old friends who i havent seen in a year, and by the time i looked around you were nowhere to be found and we had to leave! anyways..it was nice seeing the back of your head for an hour! your family is beautiful!!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...