Saturday, July 05, 2008

My Magnum Opus

It seems every summer, without fail, we read "Charlotte’s Web". This summer we have been listening to E.B. White read it to us (book on CD). Lovely really, to hear this beautiful writer reading his story the way it was meant to be read. We’ve kept the CDs in the van and I think we have listened to the book three times now. We are on the final few chapters again, and the clarity of vision that comes with the finality of Charlotte’s life has sucked me in once again.

In all the service to Wilbur and miraculous achievements that the writing on Charlotte’s web has served, it is priceless to me that this is not what she feels marks her or completes her life. It is neither her intelligence, her wit, nor her special talent of friendship. She speaks of doing something selfish for once in her life, she describes her masterpiece and her magnum opus; creating new life is her true purpose. Becoming a mother her most divine and humble calling. Tears fell as I thought of this truth and relished in it after having spent time at a funeral for a sweet two year old child, and aching for that mother. There is nothing better. If we let it, motherhood can truly be a masterpiece that will live on long after mother and child have passed. It is a work and a glory, and I am grateful to have glimpses into its magnitude while still in the early stages.

6 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Aaawww! Such a great reminder. It is such an amazing job we mothers have. Grateful for the times when I catch the vision.

Kate said...

EB White is a masterful story teller with profound wisdom in his simple stories for the young and old alike. We too have loved listening to him tell the tale of Charlotte's Web in past summers. Early this spring we listened to 'The Trumpeters Swan,' it too is magnificent. We need to re-listen to Charlotte's Web again this summer.

Anonymous said...

Motherhood is indeed the greatest career!! My heart swells as you truely have the vision of this eternal calling.

The Wilsons said...

Thanks for this reminder. I need it all too often (me and my silly stressed-out ways)!

Hoosier Mama said...

beautiful.... and then I have to laugh because I grew up watching the vhs of Charlotte's Web, and every time I think of it I hear Wilber's whiny voice and that song... "oh wow, look at him now, zuckermann's famous pig. Oh wee, what'll it be... "

lani said...

You are truly poetic--I agree completely with you! And now I want to read Charlotte's Web to my kids.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...