Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Magic Beans

Our garden is only doing so-so this year. We lack sun. But we've had several harvests of lettuce so far, so that's been delightful! I love going out for my lunch and cutting some leaf lettuce, picking a few ripe cherry tomatoes and just adding my favourite poppy-seed dressing... mmmmm. We also grew two types of beans: regular green beans and magic beans from my Oma. These magic beans grow purple and then, according to Oma, you cook them up and they turn green. So it was science before dinner today and here's what we saw happen:





We added some of our "green" beans to the batch at the end and we couldn't even tell the difference between them. Amazing. Of course there are many different lessons that could be taught through this experiment... and I'll be cooking up a "Bean Analogy" for each night we eat them. Any suggestions?

10 comments:

Dana and ohana said...

those are so fun! We had those growing up. My Oma (yup, got one too) would tell us to never judge anyone or thing becuase chances were things were always differnet than they first appeared.

Anne Marie said...

How cool is that. I've never heard of those purple beans.

Camie said...

Wow--those are mystery beans! We just read Jack and the Beanstalk--maybe you should try throwing some magic beans out the window and see what happens!!

Jennifer said...

I have green beans coming out of my garden like crazy your finished product looks so yummy. Can you tell me what your recipe is?

Lori said...

Funny. I have a picture of a plate just like yours -- only ours has green, green beans. I've never heard of those kind of color-changing beans...I was thinking yours had some sort of disease or something. :)

Jennifer said...

WOAH~ Honestly I wouldn't have believed you if you hadn't taken pictures. That was crazy! I had three tomatoes...until Jefferson claimed they were apples and picked one. She carried it in her teeth all day because it was so hard and green. I feel cheated.

Jodie said...

Wow! I've never seen that before. I've seen purple beans but never cooked...too cool!

Unknown said...

"While we may not like to admit it, people, like beans, will always change when they get into hot water."

Granddaddy

My Many Coloured Days said...

Okay, I never expected so much response to my beans!!! For those interested, they are called Royal Burgandy Bush Beans. My recipe is nothing fancy... just some butter and slivered almonds added. I love em that way, the kids don't, so I get to eat everyone's almonds! I'm thinking I could set up a stand somewhere and sell some magic beans!

Laurie said...

I am definately planting those next year. My kids might actually eat vegetables. At least they will be entertained. Thanks for sharing!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...