Thursday, July 31, 2008

Scared

So, over a month ago I received a very peculiar phone call. It was completely out of the blue and unexpected. I was asked to be a keynote speaker at youth conference. My first thought was, "Don't you want to fly someone in from Utah?" My second thought was, "You do know I'm in Primary?" I wondered how the youth would enjoy my rendition of "Open them, shut them..." But then I grew excited at the challenge; something unlike anything I had ever done. I started listening to and reading talks by professional youth speakers, I pulled out my folder of stuff I saved from youth conferences past - where I was attending as a youth, not a speaker. And then I wrote, re-wrote and wrote again. I had everything pretty much completed before our trip and then spent a few mornings watching the kids play outside memorizing my presentation - making it mine. And now, I am scared to death. I have a few group activities, I think I'm involving them enough, but will they laugh at my jokes and stories? Will my presentation be what those who asked me expected? My ending still stinks, I'm not happy with it. And I present on Saturday. I am completely second-guessing myself, and wondering why I, who absolutely dreads public speaking, consented to this from the start. A perfect stranger from the Stake Young Women's presidency called the other day asking for interesting things about me for my introduction, I was like, "Well, I'm not very interesting, but I'm left-handed." Dull. She insisted she knew I would do a great job, and I told her she must have a lot of faith. I'm sort of counting down until it's over. Then maybe I'll have something interesting for my next introduction, "This spectacular woman fainted and nearly had a heart-attack the last time she stood up in front of a group of youth, and so we're very pleased to have her here with us today - and no that's not a sunburn, she just turns bright red at any mention of herself." Yeah, wish me luck. Perhaps I'll break a leg.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't stand next to you like the good ol' days.

I've enjoyed hearing some of the stories as you have created them and I think they will appeal to the youth.

I always say a prayer before I speak.

Oh, don't feel you have to memorize the whole thing. Know your opeining, the points, the stories and the close...practice them but don't memorize. Huge risk of going blank when you memorize word for word ...just remember the order and you're good to go.

Know we'll be praying for you. Don't hesitate to ask Mr. Man for a blessing.

Break a leg...NOT literally!!

Love,

Dad

Michelle said...

you will do FABULOUS! i just know it. you are a very charismatic person. so say a prayer & don't worry!

Jodie said...

I'm excited for you! What a fun challenge (though not necessarily one I'd want to take on myself....). Good luck and just have fun with it! Those kids will love your fun personality and great smile. Let us know how it goes!!

The Wilsons said...

Oh, my goodness--if there is anyone out there that could do a FABULOUS job at this, it is YOU!!! And it sounds like you have the preparation part very well in hand.

Not that I blame you for being nervous--as you are entitled to be!--but I know w/o doubt that you will be spectacular.

Now, you need to start singing from "The Sound of Music"..."I have confidence in sunshine..." (Hopefully you know that one, or I might just be sounding crazy to you!)

Jennifer said...

Same thing happened to me about three years ago and it was a long process studying and researching and educating myself on the topic and dealing with my doubts about my abilities. But in the end Heavenly Father always does come through for you :)

Would love to hear how it went.

Camie said...

Renee--they were definitely inspired to call you and I'm sure you will be wonderful!! But be careful--maybe they'll call you to be stake YW president next!

Anonymous said...

Shoot, I'd pick you too.

Laura said...

YIKES! I can see why you're a little nervous, but you'll be awesome! Break a leg!

Hoosier Mama said...

girl, you are going to be amazing! You are crazy to think you are boring - you are so interesting to me, I especially love to watch your parenting style with Julia, it makes me laugh. You are the perfect one for the job! -I have no doubt that you would be great at anything that comes your way! Talented woman you are!

singin'mama said...

So, today is Saturday. How did you do? I'm sure it went really well. You've got a great story for every occasion.

Donna's Next Chapter Art said...

If your talk was as intelligent, honest and interesting as your blog... you were a terrific speaker! So how did it go?

---Warren's mother-in-law

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...