Thursday, July 10, 2008

Visions of Sugar Plums

A friend from a past life whose blog I still read announced two days ago that she will be having a baby. Today. There were a few random pictures that aroused suspicion, but never a word of authentication. It made me think about how I spent the better part of a year posting and whining about being pregnant. How pathetic of me.

Last summer I spent hours at the pool, as per doctor recommendation, and as a way to stay cool. I felt very large indeed and my arms ached when I had to do swim lessons, which consisted of me participating in a Mommy and Me class with my not very floaty three year old. Besides the fact that I’m really not a swimmer; I have a hard enough time taking a daily shower – I just don’t like to get wet! Ba humbug, you may be thinking. Yes, indeed, next summer will always be better. Last summer I envisioned this one to be idyllic. I would stroll my little happy-to-always-just-sit-in-a-stroller baby around the pool while we gazed delightfully at the other three children enjoying their swimming lessons, while working on a tan. Oh yes, it would be wonderful.

I didn’t share this wish with a soul, I promise, but somehow it still hasn’t come true.

This summer I don’t have the “pregnant” swim suit or excuse for feeling “large” at the pool. It really would be such a perfect hang-out if I didn’t have to sport a smaller than life piece of clothing, otherwise known as a modest swimsuit. Not only that, I regret that I didn’t sign up for a Mommy and Me class for my I-absolutely-hate-my-stroller baby who would much rather try to walk around the pool either attempting to dive in or actually taking a dive on the hard pool-side cement. Ouch. My visions of swimming lessons have taken a hard crash into reality as I beg my child to please just get his face wet; hypocrite that I am. Surprisingly, Mr. T has done exceptionally well, as a fourth teacher, dedicated entirely to his success has made all the difference. Little E has survived two weeks without getting a single hair wet, however. And I am determined not to let this summer go by wishing it away for false visions of next year. (I’ve seen those two year olds at the pool. It does get worse.)


At the beginning of the summer the kids and I made a list of things we wanted to do this summer. We have a few things yet to be done, but really we have enjoyed checking things off. I’m grateful that their lists are still so simple and their expectations so sweet and sincere. I know it won’t always be so easy to make their lists and dreams come true. For now I revel in the fact that a picnic with popsicles and friends is all that is needed to make a day complete, and that they could care less what their mama looks like in a swimsuit.


5 comments:

Jodie said...

Wow! Baby J looks so much like Mr. T in that picture!!

Anne Marie said...

Isn't it funny how we imagine (as moms) how the next stage will be easier or better? I am afraid I kept doing this to myself the first year of having twins...if I can just get through the first year....I'll be okay. It was probably better that I didn't know what having 2 two-year-olds would be like. That sounds like quite the adventure to have a crawling, walking toddler to supervise at the pool. And I do hope that all your kids will get more and more comfortable in the water. Sounds like Mr. T's making some nice progress. It took Connor until he was 5 years old to even dunk his head in the water at all. He would speak with great dread of the day he would have to go under the water to get baptized...what a nightmare it was for him back then. Sorry for the long comment. Jared's working late tonight, and I guess I have to ramble online instead of to him...Your kids are adorable, by the way.

Net said...

I agree! I keep waiting for the time when my three will be "old enough" that activities will be effortless and fun. I need to just get out and do it, and stop waiting.

Hoosier Mama said...

1st: I too have swimsuit angst. 2nd: Mommy and me class is totally over rated. 3rd: I always look at the mom's with wet hair from playing with their kids at the pool and think: I suck.

Shawny said...

You probably think you look worse in a swim suit than you actually do. I never NEVER would have been caught dead in a swimming suit. Why do you think it has taken me three years to take my 3-year-old swimming for the first time? LOL But you know, when I look around at the other women at the pool, I'm convinced the perfect body just doesn't really exist--only in Hollywood and on teenage girls. I honestly think you probably look dang good in a swimming suit, and no one would guess that you've had FOUR kids. I'd love to meet up with you at the pool sometime...Saturdays are always good! We'll take the pool by storm.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...