Tuesday, February 22, 2011

you don't know what you've got till it's gone

Not long ago I ran into an aisle of books and nearly died. I am so far behind in reading new books.

I pointed at almost every other book and informed Mr. Man that I just HAD to have and read them. And then I sighed. My readings are much more informative than entertaining for now. And my leisurely book-reading has entered a temporary pause as I read and study textbooks that cost way more than any hardback bestseller would ever dream of selling for. And then I said it: "I miss being a stay-at-home mom and sitting around and reading all day." Mr. Man looked at me strangely, because that's what I had been trying to convince him I was NOT doing for years! And really I wasn't... but you know there are definitely days you can sacrifice housework and mothering (well) and just let yourself get carried away by a good, or at least entertaining, book.
I miss having my little crazy crew... they are growing up way too fast into these responsible but very funny people. And I never really understood when people said that the baby, toddler and preschool years really were the most laid back and easy times. They were so busy and so hard at so many times, and yet they are gone and I miss them. Those were the good old days. It's something you have to live through to believe and understand. Because NOW life is so busy and crazy (don't tell me about the teenage years... this is all I can handle for now). And so I am glad that amidst it all, I HAVE enjoyed the moments - while always looking forward and a little bit back. I think life isn't just about living in the moment, but of gathering past moments and preparing for future moments as well. Because whether the grass is green, brown or covered with a pile of snow, it's what we have and it's better than a parking lot.

1 comment:

lani said...

So well put! I agree--we relish the moments each day, but also look forward and back to the past. So many good memories, and things to look forward to at the same time, while still enjoying the present. You amaze me and I love these glimpses into your heart. i'm glad you are feeling mostly back to yourself and am sorry I haven't been a faithful blog reader lately. Life is crazy but good.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...