Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Attracted to Mothers

I know my depression is under control by the fact that I've once again become a Social Mother.

You've either been her or know her. She makes small talk with you while you wait for a child after school, or smiles when you pass each other in the halls while you each manhandle toddlers. Social Mother trades motherhood stories and tips with you while you "watch" a child play a sport or extra-curricular activity. Social Mother can spot another Mother a mile away and knowingly looks your way, as you immediately bond in your motherhood. That's the thing that gets me... how easy it is to spot another mother.

At school today I had a woman whom I have exchanged glances with in one of my classes come up and tell me how good she felt to know she wasn't the only other mother back in school. I mean, really? It baffles me how she could zero in on me and detect that, and yet I'd been wondering the same about her. She looks older (and so must I), she seems preoccupied and also doesn't text away on her phone waiting for our professor to begin - she's catching up on homework (as am I). And she just, well, has the mom-aura about her (and I guess I must too).

I'm enjoying being around other mothers again. I'm enjoying my role of mother again. I'm attracted to motherhood, and apparently to mothers! We're beautiful!

3 comments:

Scott and Tisha said...

I'm sooo happy for you! I love seeing other moms and either sending or receiving the nod or smile of encouragement.It truly is a special rewarding, challenging, wonderful job!

The Wilsons said...

Been loving all of your recent posts! I think of you often. Glad to hear things are really moving in the right direction!

Amy said...

Mothers are beautiful! I am glad you are feeling social! I sure don't miss tests and homework, but I really miss lectures and meetings of the mind.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...