Friday, February 04, 2011

Agnes

We are a one car family by choice. Mr. Man seriously loves riding his bike, which almost makes us a two vehicle family (since he rides pretty much rain or snow). It forces us to communicate more in our juggling of family commitments, and it also limits what we can do or forces us to do it together. Not a bad thing. Except sometimes.

Like when I have to catch the bus.

But I'm even getting used to that.

I have Mr. Man's MP3 player so I get my scriptures in for the day while I walk and wait and ride. And then there's the entertainment provided by the people at my stop and those who get on and off the bus. Plus there's my rampant imagination that fills in all the blanks of the life stories of the people I barely meet.

Let me tell you about Agnes. I'm assuming her name is Agnes, of course. She's one of those older women whose name is either Lois, Gertrude, Ingrid or Agnes. And I picked Agnes for her. She walks slowly and trepidatiously up to the bus stop with her flashlight shining away in the dark. She always greets me happily and has a story or two to tell before she stands and studies (and comments on) the stars, satellites, airplanes, sun and sky life of the morning. She's got stories and opinions about every bus driver, politician and dog walking by. Just in our few minutes two mornings a week, I know a lot about this woman. Ironically, Mr. Man also knows a lot about Agnes from his bus rides with her as well.

Apparently last year some time she slipped on the ice and broke her ankle and couldn't work for a whole month. That's why she has the flashlight now. And then some nice young man told her about these wonderful things called Yak Trax. And now she wears them faithfully. That "nice young man" was my husband! We're trying to figure out how else we can positively influence her life.

The other day she suggested an idea that she is sure will make somebody millions: there must be some way to store all the melted snow here and then use it in the summer to water our lawns. Brilliant. Someone should come up with this, but you'll have to give some credit to Agnes. By the way, she also insists the end of the world is coming December 31st 2011.

1 comment:

Steve and Donna said...

my favorite Aunt was Agnes :)
fun to read your blog

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...