Wednesday, August 19, 2009

School Shopping

Last winter we had no clue where we would end up this year. We had applied from places as cold as Northern Canada, to as warm as Florida. And so I didn't do any clothing clearance shopping to get stocked up for this year... not knowing whether we would be needing shorts and tank tops or sweaters and snow pants. And so, in the end, our clothing inventory is looking rather drab. The two eldest especially have nothing. And it seems I will be buying new jeans for each boy, as the knees become threadbare and non-existent by the time they are outgrown. So fine. I made my list and we have set out several times this week in an attempt to check off each item. Shoes are done. Jeans are done (thank you Old Navy!) and long sleeved shirts, sweaters and sweatshirts - are NOWHERE!

It will likely snow here next month, and yet, I can't find anything warm for my children to wear. I went to one store where I bought all three of the long-sleeved shirts they had for my boys. And then I have resorted to stopping Moms with kids in parking lots and begging to know where they shop. The answers: they head to another state to do all their shopping, or they shop online. I asked about second-hand clothing stores, desperately missing our nearby Once Upon a Child, and was told the one that had existed burned down... there may be another somewhere, but nobody is quite sure where. I'm devastated. You know how I feel about shopping anyways, and you know how picky my daughter is, and how skinny and tall (not regular sized) my eldest son is... and tada: tragedy. Small tragedy, I know. But still.

So I'm seriously thinking of starting a used kids clothing store. And in the meantime, I may buy a sewing machine! (Just kidding Mom - don't worry, I know I suck!) No, in the meantime, I am searching for free shipping coupons online and hoping I get everyone's sizes right...

Send me happy shopping vibes! It's like living in Hawaii all over again. Only colder.

3 comments:

Jedda said...

I probably shouldn't tell you that the goodwill store here in MI has everything 5T and smaller priced at a mere 50 cents! How I will miss that when we move back this weekend!
To compensate for that first comment, I stumbled on this site recently, though I don't know if it will be useful to you...there are free shipping deals-scroll all the way down. Good luck!!
http://www.cashbaq.com/

Amy said...

When we moved to this little town I had to become a master on-line shopper (Old Navy has a $7 flat rate shipping.) It sucks. Otherwise I have to plan realy well and go to Utah to shop for clothes.

I am feeling your pain and I am sending you happy shopping vibes.

Maybe you could organize some kind of used clothes exchange through your ward.

Boyz Zone said...

Have you tried yard sales, you know I love them! But recently I have found jeans and long sleeve shirts for the boys and it is certainly very warm here!!! Email me your contact info. I am dying to catch up! Miss ya

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...