Saturday, August 15, 2009

Finally Two

Dear Baby J,

You are my last two year old. Amazing grace. I feel as though I have been telling people that you are "almost two" for like forever. There is such a difference between 12 months, 18 months and then even 21, 22, and 23 months. My goodness, how you have aged.

Today we celebrated your birthday. Daddy is home now. Almost all of the boxes are unpacked, and it was decidedly your day. When you awoke you sang your usual "Good mo--------rning" song (from "Singin' in the Rain" - though you don't know that yet) into each of our bedrooms, including each of our names so that we would be personally awoken by you. Then you ran downstairs full of your usual early morning energy only to find a birthday banner and balloons galore (Daddy swore me to have the goal of NOT getting mad at all the balloons today, and I have succeeded... though they may not be around when you wake up tomorrow...). I love this picture that shows how excited you were when we told you that this was for you; that it was YOUR birthday. All day, you have bounced around shouting "mine" clearly aware that this day was for you. (Check out the tippy toes!)

Having you join our family was such a hard decision for us. Before you were born, Mommy and Daddy went back and forth and were often at odds with each other with whether or not we should add another child to our already busy little family. Being pregnant with you was one of the hardest things I have had to do. Just thinking about being confined to a bed or couch makes me shiver... but I did it, so that I could have YOU. And we are so glad we chose to bring your sweet spirit into our home. Knowing who you are would have made the decision to have you so simple.

You are spoiled rotten by all your big brothers and sister. They adore you to pieces and you melt your Daddy's heart on a regular basis. Your little "more please" and "thank you" are the most adorable sounds. Hearing you try to keep on a conversation by saying words of things you know are of interest to the person you are conversing with is delightful. You are such a sweetheart... and given your huge interest in babies, and the fact that you will pretty much try to beat up a girl to get to her doll, and since you are our last baby... you got a cute little baby doll today and my oh my has that doll been held, kissed, rocked and strolled in your little pink stroller. I can't wait for you to name her.

"Unhuh" is probably your most uttered word. Gone is your "es" for "yes", but your "no, stop that" is incredibly coherent. You love music; singing and dancing are constants for you. And many of your words are said in a sing-song tone.

{sister iced your carrot cake}
Perhaps because you have so many older siblings, you think you are invincible: 2 going on 7! You are cautious (according to Mom, but Crazypants according to Dad), and willing to try anything the older kids will do - at the playground, at the pool, anywhere! You adore batman, Ernie (even more than Elmo now), Little Einsteins, riding your bike (well, being pushed on it), anything with wheels (cars, trucks, trains), playing with playdoh, chocolate (which I think was your first word and you can pronounce it perfectly), bananas, your blankie and soother, and doggies (and you STILL call cats doggies, no matter what as well!)
You are my adorable, but stubborn, little prince (you wore pjs all day, changed from one set to another after the nap you did NOT take) ... whom I soon will get to spend all day every day ALONE with (the older three are starting school in just a couple of weeks!) Happy birthday my little two year old... and yes, you are two... not ONE or THREE.

Love, Mommy

7 comments:

MOM said...

Oh, what a memorable day you had with '2' year old!! Your letter had me shedding tears and smiling and then laughing out loud with with video!! I too am so grateful he is in your family (our family).

MOM said...

Oh, what a memorable day you had with your '2' year old!! Your letter had me shedding tears and smiling and then laughing out loud with the video!! I too am so grateful he is in your family (our family).

joy said...

Happy Birthday cute little guy!

Shawny said...

It's hard to believe he is already two. Seems like just yesterday you were preggo. You have really cherished your time with your last. What a lucky little guy! And, more alone time moments to go with him in the very near future.

Unknown said...

oh my gosh.....that video was HILARIOUS!!!! What an adorable 2 year old you have. <3

lani said...

I wish we still lived by you! Our little 2 year old would be best buddies. I was just smiling and nodding to everything as I read your post--maybe I'll just copy and paste it into Grant's journal, because it seemed like you described him perfectly! I'm so glad we can keep in touch via blogs! And I laughed my head off at Greg's new career as a fisherman--through the eyes of a child--so funny!

Laura said...

What a great post. He will love reading that someday. The video was so funny! And frankly, I really needed to read that right now in my current "condition"!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...