Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Oh Dear

(pun from a friend's comment on my facebook status)

I hit a deer tonight.

I've had two car accidents in my life now, and neither has involved another person. Suck.

I was headed to our church for a Relief Society meeting. And I stood momentarily between the two vehicles in our garage before picking the mini-van over Mr. Man's sister's loaner car.

I was so looking forward to a night out. At church, granted, but still out. Not having to do bedtime every so often is a blessing. And then right out of nowhere... kabam. Immediately I was reduced to tears. Tears of fright and unexpectedness. Tears for the deer, who hobbled away living (hopefully), but still obviously hurt by ME. Tears for the van and the money that will now have to go into that black hole of a vehicle. Tears for the embarrassment of my actions as the words of my father-in-law echoed in my mind: "There's no reason why anyone should ever hit a deer." And my husband's agreement with him implying that if one would only pay attention on the road... Tears for what could have been. And tears because after all I'm just a girl.

I came home. Admitted my crime.

The boys were in the tub. Three little men in a tub. Goofier than anything. They overheard what had happened and quieted. Mr. T, knowing my dislike of animals, asked "Did you hit him on accident?" I nodded my head solemnly, guiltily. He continued, "We all do accidents Mom. It's okay."

How does my son know how to parent better than I do?

So a slight curve on the road to financial freedom. A slight tear of my ego, and a more cautious driver. But it's okay. Hiccup.

9 comments:

Lily said...

"Oh dear" indeed. I am just glad that you are okay. What a kind, wise little boy you have:)

Shawny said...

So glad you are okay!

Sheila said...

I disagree with the men- even great drivers hit deer or moose or elk or whatever. It is so frightening and I feel your pain. It is a constant worry when you live in remote area's like we do. They just pop out of the woods that are right beside the road. (your brother hit one up here too) It happens. Glad you are safe. Your son is so right- hope you are feeling better today about it all.

Amy said...

Did you hit it on purpose????!!! So funny that he would ask! He knows how to parent well becuase he has a very, very good example to follow. I don't think it is that hard to hit a deer. We have had many close calls. If you ask me, it's the deer who need to be more careful! They've got really big ears, they should be able to hear your car comming.

Carla said...

Ok sometimes the stupid things run into YOU (or get thrown toward you by running into the semi just ahead.) It's SO scary! It Totally sucks about your van and your night out... oh yeah and the poor crippled deer. You deserved to have a good cry over that one. But I'm glad you're ok and your son made you feel better.

bryceandjamie said...

I'm always worried about deer around town. Glad you're okay.

KVB said...

I'm glad that you are okay. The question is did you see the deer before you hit it? If so you were paying plenty of attention. I hit one a few months ago too. I saw it coming soon enough to determine that there was no way that I could avoid it.

The Wilsons said...

Some things really and truly can't be avoided! Although shaken up, I am also glad that you weren't physically hurt. Hope you're feeling better about things and able to put it behind you. I hit a squirrel that ran out in front of me when I was learning to drive and I just pulled right over and cried! I've always been nervous about those bigger folk--the deer. What a crazy night for you!

Arseneault Family said...

Car accidents suck!! So sorry. The crying is understandable!! Helps to feel better too!! xoxoxo Kids are the best teachers, eh??!!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...