Monday, February 22, 2010

Maintaining Confidence

I've never had a huge problem with comparing myself to others.  Like in the bad way.  Meaning thinking I'm better than someone, or thinking someone is better than me.  I have had the marvelous opportunity of being surrounded with wonderful people throughout my life.  And I am genuinely happy for their successes, grateful for their glories and inspired and delighted by their talents and abilities.  So it is with trepidation that I admit defeat in the area of blogging confidence.  I've slowly acquired a plethora of blogs on my google reader of whom I don't personally know the authors.  These people's homes are all incredibly decorated, they craft all of their own holiday decor, their children are beyond amazing and always look well dressed, well groomed and are obviously well-fed with all the healthy recipes these people post.  The mystery moms homeschool a busload of kids and have ingenious ideas that they have time to post and provide for those of us who don't, they volunteer for every last cause, they are romantic and seem to have all the time in the word for their "Mr. Man's" and have photography skills (and usually a photography business) to boot.  Yes, I am jealous.  Yes, I sit at my little desk and gaze at my home wondering how I could possibly bring even an ounce of the blogging goodness out of my computer and in to my home.  Don't get me wrong, I steal many ideas and am grateful for a lot of the suggestions and ideas that I am able to apply... but mostly I stand in awe and have found myself feeling insignificant and unsuccessful in comparison.  Green even.  Perhaps it's because I don't know these people that I can't be happy for them and leave it at that.  Maybe somehow mentally I am combining all these strangers into one and of course there's no way I could measure up in comparison.  Whatever it may be, I'm simply going to be deleting a bunch of them from my life today.  Sticking them into a little folder to pull out when my curiosity gets the better of me and I am having a "I'm amazing" day.  Should help bring me down to my humble pie.  They are wasting my time and ruining my confidence.  Show offs.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mostly like most of the revenue generating blogs have a team behind the main character. If only we could see the other side of the lenses and scripts.

I love you,

Your Mr. Man

Shawny said...

I suspect their lives aren't quite as wonderful and put together as they portray on their blogs. I actually love to read the blogs where people share their trials and shortcomings (you know real moments) as well as their talents and sweet moments. I've learned in my old age that there are very few people in the world who have it ALL together! :) I haven't found too many at least.

Lily said...

Your friend Shawny said exactly what I wanted to say. I did sweep out my list of blogs too because of a similar thing. Although it seems like the ones you are looking at are much more useful with ideas etc.
My ditching of blogs came about when 2 of the women who knew each other started attacking each other and I realized very clearly that their blogs were like taking pictures- usually asking the kids to stop and smile for a moment and then usher them out- all the in betweens are missing. Anyhow- one interesting thing that came out of the blog attack that occured was both women were flagging each other for trying to make people envious?!! I guess this is something they actually talked about in a joking manner while still friends. Okay a bit too complicated for me- haven't looked back at those ones for over a year.

On the opposite end, I just dropped a blog of someone who I actually like and have met. In real life she is fine but on her blog she writes so much about the negative and it is like she is riding on the comments she gets as being a victim. The good posts seldom get comments and all of a sudden 2 dozen people comment when she mentions how terrible her life is.

Your blog is so honest, well-written and positive. I much prefer to read what you have to say anyday.

Jennifer said...

Oh no one could have said it so well. You said exactly what I could not put into words. I will read your blog forever and ever I have defeat in the area of blogging confidence also...lets start a club :) :)

Michelle said...

renee, i know your post wasn't a call for a vote of confidence, but i do have to say that i have long admired your amazing ability to mother your children with patience and love, all the while PLAYING with them and TEACHING them in every moment.

on a side note, my sister has two sister-in-laws who have well-known revenue generating "craft" blogs; she says that their real lives are chaos - their husbands are always mad at them, their kids neglected, and their houses are pigstys. and they are either on the computer or doing "photo shoots" of their stuff or kids 24/7. hope that helps :). hugs.

Laura said...

They're all on Meth.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...