Saturday, February 20, 2010

Olympic Thoughts

It kills me to think about how many chips, root beer and yes, cadbury mini eggs, I have gone through while I sit lazily on my couch watching outstanding athletes compete in the Winter Olympics.  Ironic, yes.  While several exercise their strength, demonstrate their compassion and dedication to a sport, the rest of the world sits (and if they're like me and my house, they eat too).  We finally went out and got bunny ears a couple of nights ago so we could REALLY watch, and not just cheer for our internet to speed up so we could watch a successful triple axle.  We've enjoyed several late nights and undivided family time since.

I remember as a young teenager being convinced that I would go to the Olympics one day.  Rowing was to be my area of expertise.  I was going to be the next Silken Laumann.  It's amazing how those dreams can be forgotten, and yet brought back to the surface while sitting, eating, and watching.  I love all my Olympic dreams and memories... sitting with siblings... running outside to get some fresh air between races, games and competitions.

I wish Mr. Man would start a blog and voice his feelings on the Olympics, and most especially the commentary.  He's a crack up, and we've enjoyed being overly-critical together of movements there's no way our bodies could even attempt.  Tuning in to the Olympics in the United States is also quite interesting and different from my childhood of Canadian commentary.  I would love to have both going at once, for comparison.

While I may not be an Olympian, I am proud to say that I have been exercising almost every day now since the New Year.  A true achievement for me.  Mr. Man says my butt is firmer.  He's going to hate that I wrote that.  But I'm proud.  I've also been trying to get outside with my kids every day.  It's so easy to kick them outside to skate or play in the snow on their own and watch from the inside, getting a few things done in peace.  A few weeks ago I pushed the kids outside and Little E was resisting, I told him he had to go outside to get his fresh air for the day and he turned to me and asked, "When are you going to get YOUR fresh air Mom?"  Embarrassing.  So I've been trying to let the kids see me outside too, and playing WITH them is a lovely bonus.  We've enjoyed walks, snowball fights, sledding and even feeding the freezing ducks.
I've found numerous fun and educational Olympic activities that we will be incorporating into our homeschooling this week.  Last week was a schooling nightmare... and a lot of it really comes down to the planning and the presenting of what we are doing and learning.  I've had to change a lot of my lesson plans from last year to better suit my kindergartner this year.  This has been enjoyable, as I love having this time to really get to know my boys much better, but also takes more time.  Oh time.

Enjoy this final week of the Olympics and make some memories.  Maybe even throw in a push up or two!

No comments:

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...