Wednesday, February 17, 2010

George Lucas Update

I'm trying hard not to throw the cat out into the snow.

The thing drives me crazy. But for some strange reason adores and follows me around incessantly, attacking me with his claws and teeth when I don't pay enough attention. Ugh. Don't tell Mr. Man, but I just scheduled his de-clawing. It must be done. I would love to have his curiosity removed too, but the lady just laughed at me when I brought it up. While everyone calls him Lucas or Lukey, he really is Curious George. Are all kittens as troublesome as ours? I wonder.

Our kitten has a love hate relationship with water. He tries to get so close to it, but then hates it when he actually gets wet. For instance, he loves to hang out in the shower, near the bathroom sink, and walks around the tub while it is full of both water and kids. The Toddler loves to splash him and once even threw him right in for a bath of his own. I still don't know how I feel about him watching me shower every morning either.

Then there's his desire to be in high places. The kids will indulge him and help him up to high window sills (so he can attack a stray fly) or up to the top bunk... but then there's the required suicidal jumps down. Or the incessant meowing until we rescue him.

Any time we open a cupboard or door he scurries in. Whether it be tupperware, canned goods, or the toy closet... he's curious to explore teeny tiny spaces. Unfortunately, we sometimes don't see him enter and then when the door is shut, he is stuck until we notice his absence or again, hear his meowing and track down the sound.

If I'm trying to print something, beware. Wherever he may be in the house, even on the 2nd floor or sound asleep, he will stop all to come and try to catch my papers as they print, often messing up the process which creates a demand for MORE PRINTING - which he loves.

Then there's his diet. We agreed beforehand that we would be the owners of a pet, never allowing this animal to become a "member" of our family. He would be treated as a pet. And so we buy the poor thing dry cat food. And yet, Mr. Man has quite frequently snuck the beast remnants and even whole pieces of meat and such from our dinners. Not to mention how the cat dragged an entire turkey neck out of the trash and through my house! The minute we sit down to a meal, our legs are attacked, the meowing becomes ferocious and the begging for an alternative to dry cat food begins. The kids are following after Mr. Man's suit and it's not helping my case of NO ANIMALS AT OR ON THE TABLE. Here's the little rascal finishing off Mr. Man's samoan ice cream.


He has a broad appetite and Mr. Man claims he must be deficient in vitamin F for flowers, since he has officially destroyed several of my plants by eating and digging in them. I have to keep my valentine flowers on the counter now instead of as a nice table centerpiece so that he won't cause any more damage. Mr. Man doesn't think this is a big deal, but it just demonstrates that I am losing to the cat!

(Have I mentioned he sleeps with us now... the one thing I SWORE would NEVER happen!)

So everyone loves the little trouble maker... and he does do a good job of entertaining The Toddler when I need to make dinner (for the family, not the cat), but I have to admit that I still am not , nor will ever be, an animal lover. The cries for another cat and even a dog will never be satisfied. I've learned my lesson.

2 comments:

Arseneault Family said...

He is SOOOOOO cute!! I vote for NO declawing...our cat came declawed, but I wish he wasn't!! Their mischief slows down as they get older...even when they don't have their claws, they still think that they do - except they don't!! It breaks my heart when he's looking for them!! :( Such cute stories Marjorie!! Thanx!! xo

Laura said...

Cats are so funny how their favorite person is often the one who ignores them! Since I'm allergic, I used to always try to stay away, which seemed to only make them more interested. I finally learned that when I stared right at them and talked to them, they would go away! They are like teenagers.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...