Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Saving

We like to save money and the world at our house, and we love when the two go hand and hand. Mr. Man is a huge recycling nazi and the rest of us have slowly obliged and learned to really reduce, reuse and recycle.

Here are a couple of ways we are "saving" at our house.
I no longer buy napkins. (A childhood staple.)
My Mom has made the kids these adorable bright and fun napkins for their school lunches and as she has made more for us, we use them for EVERY meal. I have some white ones that were a homemade wedding gift (with a tablecloth) that I pulled out and have been using as well. The kids love how fun these are, and they are small and simple to just throw in with my regular wash. So I really don't feel any cost. Miss J has enjoyed making these for cousin and friend gifts as well... choosing fabric that she feels fits the individual.


I do own paper towel, but it's only used for window/mirror cleaning and greasy bacon and such. Otherwise we use towels. My Mom, sister and I found a fun tutorial online and made cute towels with scraps of fabric.

Last but not least, my swiffer refill invention. Once we moved I bought my first swiffer to do my floors. Love it. But did NOT love the cost of the refills. So I pulled out some old cloth diapers (that I used as burp rags) and folded them up, cut them to size and had my Mom sew them shut and add velcro so they'll stick to my swiffer. They work great. I only have three, and I just keep washing them and re-using them.
You'll note that, in essence, my MOM has been the one SAVING me in each instance!!! Thanks Mom.

What are some ways YOU are saving?

3 comments:

Kendra said...

love fabric napkins... hate when none of ours are clean and we have to use... (gasp!) paper ones!

also, try using newspaper to wash those windows and mirrors...no streaks! try it. serious. great reusing there!

Carla said...

Why didn't I think of that?! We've been going through gobs of napkins now that the kids use them.

Christina said...

Great ideas! I will have to try the napkins and the "swiffer" ideas. Also baking soda works wonders around the house from cleaning bathrooms and counters to removing crayon.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...