Saturday, January 02, 2010

Certain Curtains

When we moved to our townhouse for Mr. Man to pursue his PhD I read carefully through the lease to find a section that stated that we were to hang curtains or window treatments within three months of moving in. Most of the windows had blinds, and the large windowed doors in the dining area backed into a field, so I felt pretty comfortable and put off spending money on window treatments, waiting for a notice to land on my door demanding I do so. At first Mr. Man wasn't sure the program was really what he wanted, and as usual we weren't happy with our new town (it takes us a year, I've learned, to really settle in somewhere new). With the chance that we may be picking up to leave after just a school term or year, I didn't even consider hanging curtains.

Around Christmas time a new family moved into our neighborhood and ward and we became fast friends. The first thing she did was make and hang curtains, and I admit, it really had a homey effect. I loved her bright red curtains up front, and I started to notice curtains whenever I was out shopping or in others' homes. I took the plunge and got curtains for our back doors. Then I hung my Oma's dutch valance on the front. It may have been over a year later before I hung a nice window treatment in our master bedroom, and the kitchen window even sported a little window treatment... though the kids' rooms never were spoiled with such treatment. A good friend actually noticed and commented that since we had put up some curtains that must mean we knew we were staying, and I suppose it did represent a symbol of stability.

Our new home has huge beautiful windows. We have some great mountain views, and the sky here really is big and blue and bright, so once again curtains were not high on my spending/priority list. The home came with honeycomb blinds that really do help keep the cold out, so we're set for that and for nighttime privacy as well. About a month or so ago I found a great curtain rod that I loved on sale and so I picked it up. It has sat on my window sill, and I have literally had to dust it. This week I got some coupons for a favourite store and we printed off several and went back and back to get four panels of curtains for our living/family room (depending if you ask Mr. Man or I what it's called) for nice and cheap. Tonight the first two are up and that rod is no longer sitting on my sill. The effect is stunning - or so I think. And the symbolism is not lost on me: the curtains are hung; we are here to stay.

4 comments:

Kristy said...

Can't wait to see what you've done! ;-) I have no curtain or window dressing skills whatsoever. Every window in my house has white wooden blinds, so I am very impressed.

Kendra said...

i love that store too and have been eying a couple of things in the one up the street:)

can't wait to see....

Carla said...

so where are the pictures??!

Camie said...

pictures please?? I have no curtains here--I think it would make a BIG difference!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...