Wednesday, April 08, 2009

I Hate the Hunt

When I was much younger I always thought I would enjoy hunting. I have a rather large intolerance for animals and a hearty temper, and so hunting seemed to be naturally up my alley; shooting an animal the perfect hobby. I have yet to try hunting, but I'm guessing my lack of patience might be a bit of a hindrance. When it comes right down to it, it's the kill I think I would love, but not the hunt. Shopping has helped me come to that conclusion.

I have to admit that I really do despise shopping. It's just not a fun thing for me at all. Because it's not in my nature, I hardly ever randomly shop stores seeking "good deals" and so it always comes down to there being a dire need that necessitates shopping, and inevitably, a hunt. (Yes, I'm sure I end up paying more in the end than all of you "shoppers" but I'm also saving a bundle on all those "deals" I'm constantly missing out on!) Take the last couple of days for instance as I have been frantically searching for an Easter dress and white shoes for my size 10/12 dress and size 5 shoe picky eight year old. This is no easy task. And the hunt has taken me to about a dozen different stores on all sides of town; even with having been "browsing" the shoe departments for weeks. Apparently my eight year old daughter is the perfect size of a crazy hoochie mama - the dresses are hideous and way to old for her. Every dress I love comes, at most, in a size 5T for toddlers! Most shoe departments only carry girls shoes up to a size 4, but one store graciously opened up to me that by next spring they would be carrying a new girls line size 5-7. I'm sure by next spring she'll be a size 8 with my luck. So try shopping for a size 5 shoe for your little girl in the women's section. I wanted either a cute white flat or sandal - no strappy straps, she needs a back on her shoe for stability, and a heel would kill her in a minute flat. I finally found a shoe that, though not perfect, would do - and better do all summer long! Then came the job of convincing my daughter that the hoochie mama shoe she liked was really a dress-up shoe, or could be worn when she was over 16, and that really she does like the shoe I chose. Manipulation complete; our hunt a success.

As we were leaving the final store last night, I lamented to my daughter how much I truly hate shopping. She swiftly agreed, "I like having the stuff, like clothes, but I don't like trying to find the right stuff." I know! It's the hunt that we hate. But we take great pleasure in the kill.

8 comments:

Kendra said...

my mindset will save you even more money... think Easter dresses are CHEASY... I'm just anal though.

I'm sure J's dress IS NOT CHEASY THOUGH.

Shawny said...

I always somewhat resented the fact that my mom absolutely abhorred shopping. She'd only do it out of pure necessity. I, on the other hand, liked shopping. Isn't that what moms and daughters are suppose to do together, shop? I felt cheated. But now I think, “What if my daughter will hate to shop?” I guess that would mean no bonding moments via shopping for us. That would sink!

But all that being said, maybe it’s just what this particular Midwestern city has to offer or the lack thereof that makes it so hard. Is it possible Montana will provide you more shopping options? Uhh, somehow I think not....

Debbi said...

post pics of the shoes, at least! I'm sure they'll look great on Easter Sunday!

Carla said...

I have to laugh because I'm taken back to my days as a pre-teen. I TOTALLY empathize! I had the opposite problem though. Growing up, I was too skinny for any teen-ish clothes. And too grown up for the kiddy clothes that my mom liked and that actually fit. I like to shop now depending on the amount of patience required. Now it's research that I hate. If it takes research, just gimme the kill already!

Jennifer said...

oh my, I feel your pain...

trying to find the right thing, in the right size, that is not "hoochie mama" that is the story of my life.

If I had unlimited money I would definitely enjoy the "hunt" :)

libbie said...

uhg . . . . shopping is not my favorite thing. such a great post . . . . i can totally relate. and my girl is only 6.

Lily said...

I am with you- I seldom shop. Although when I have some required shopping I don't mind setting out with a purpose. I hate malls, HATE malls. I wasn't like this when I was younger but in the past couple of years consumerism makes me want to heave. I feel like society thinks I am an idiot to believe I NEED all these life "dressings". It is terrible to say but I am enjoying the financial crisis but I do feel bad for all those who are struggling.

I have noticed the crazy girl clothing out there. Up until now, I have been relieved that #1 I pretty much never have to buy the kids clothing, #2 I have only had to dress boys who options are very simple. I guess that all changes as soon as this little girl is born (actually it doesn't- she will be wearing boys clothing until she is old enough to protest *lol*).

Well written post! Sending you smiles and thanking you for the beautiful poem you posted awhile back.

Laura said...

As busy as you are, I'm surprised you aren't shopping online! Maybe you need a little Ebay to ease the burden! LOL!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...