Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday

This week for our family devotionals we’ve been studying, at a child’s level, the last week of the Savior Jesus Christ’s life. Today, of course, is known as Good Friday. When we recounted the trials before Pilate and Caiaphas, Jesus being scourged and mocked and finally the crucifixion and tomb burial, the question came up: “Why is it called good Friday?” The answer I gave was neither philosophical nor perhaps even biblical, but it made sense to my young children, and it has helped me today, a day which has not necessarily been what I would call a “good” day either.

I explained that how when Jesus suffered for everyone’s sins and mistakes, that he was suffering for all the mistakes that we made yesterday, today and tomorrow. I asked them how they feel when someone won’t share with them, or says mean things to them and explained that when we say or do those things, Jesus feels that hurt as well. I told them that since today was “good” Friday we should try to be extra good so that Jesus won’t have to suffer for anything bad for us today. I also told them that we call it “good” Friday because Jesus’ atonement provided a way for us to repent and to feel “good” once again. What he did for us was truly “good” even though it happened in a sad way. It’s been nice to watch my children trying harder to be “good” to each other today.

I’ve also thought about the atonement and how it teaches dependence. I was raised to be very independent and really it’s a title that makes me a bit proud. But today I realized just how much we, as humans, really do need each other. Learning that we can’t do it alone and that we can and need to depend on others is a humbling task, but one that brings us closer to our Maker as we learn to lean and depend on Him as well. We’ve just discovered that our son has another health issue to be dealt with; nothing life-threatening, but definitely gut-wrenching for a mother. It appears he has his third health issue that is a one in a million probability. This makes my son one in a million three times over – I knew he was special… but this is a bit out of control! As I’ve had to have the patience the medical profession requires, I know that as burdensome as it can be to wait for answers and then for treatment, I really can’t heal my son alone and I need to depend on others, as well as on the Lord. Having friends who make the moments of trial easier to manage (and you know who you are) help accepting dependence while not acknowledging defeat possible.

I am so grateful for the Savior and for His gift of love for each of us. It truly is a good Friday. Let it make us good as well.

6 comments:

Camie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Camie said...

Thanks for your thoughts, and you know that I'm one of the many people who have depended on you in my time of trial. I'm sorry I'm not there to help during yours. I'll be praying for you and your one in a million big boy.

patty said...

Is the best explanation can be given to our children.
and it is true we all depend on somebody.

Amy said...

I wish I could be with you to help ease your burden. You are such a good mom. I love how you explain things to your children.

On another subject: "I have a rather large intolerance for animals and a hearty temper," I don't think a funnier line could have ever been written! You my dear, are a crack up!

Debbi said...

That is adorable, sweetie! I love the 'good friday' explanation.

What's wrong with the little man? I'm sorry to hear there's something else on your plate! :( I hope things are figured out and 'cured' soon.

Mamabug said...

Thanks for your thoughts on the Atonement. We will be praying for you & T. too.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...