Friday, September 26, 2008

Nature Notebook

For part of our schooling, I have Mr. T keep a daily nature notebook. Basically I kick him outside and have him draw something he sees, write the date and then dictate to me.

His drawings are quick, but the stories behind them are priceless - as is his imagination. Allow me to share:

Wednesday, August 13th
"A hornet was on the gate and I was so scared. I tried to figure out how to get in, but I was too scared."

Thursday, August 14th
"It's the bug's birthday and just one candle and no cake."

Monday, August 18th
"This is a tree. It is right by the forest. I can climb it and then swing from the branches. All the leaves on the tree are green."

Tuesday, August 19th
"It's dark cold dirt. In the early morning the dirt is cold."

Wednesday, August 20th
"We have five caterpillars. All the dots are the poop. The stuff on the bottom is all their food. They are going to turn into butterflies."

Thursday, August 21st
"This is the Reynold's plants. It's too tall. They need to water their plants. Here's the hose."

Friday, August 22nd
"This is the lawnmower with the wheels. This is the long grass."

Monday, August 25th
"I saw a bird almost flying into the birdhouse. The bird was red."

Tuesday, August 26th
"A giraffe. I saw a long neck in the forest. This one had stripes!"

Wednesday, August 27th
"A zebra in the forest."

Thursday, August 28th
"It's fog but you can't see anything, you can just see shapes. All the trees that you think are there are not in the right place cause you can't see them."

Tuesday, September 2nd
"This is clone wars and bats. Annakin, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Ahsoka. Bats are nature."

Thursday, September 4th
"Padame, Obi-wan, Annakin, birds. At least I drawed the birds, right Mommy?"

Friday, September 5th
"This is a butterfly on top of a rock."

Monday, September 8th
"I saw cardinals above the clouds. I feel happy when I see them flying."

Tuesday, September 9th
"Levi and Caleb were pulling me up for to get my kitty down."

Wednesday, September 10th
"Birds and me and Justice playing with my whip."

Thursday, September 11th
"I saw a bird in some trees."

Friday, September 12th
"Me going swimming in the lake and some ducks. I was under the ducks: a mommy, daddy and baby duck."

Monday, September 15th
"All the branches fell off of the tree cause a big windstorm."

Tuesday, September 16th
"The blue blue sky and some birds."

Wednesday, September 17th
"I saw a ghost. I thought I was going to pick up my whip, but it was in the front. So I picked up a stick and whacked the ghost - for reals."

Thursday, September 18th
"An airplane was blasting in the sky. It was so cool. It was so tiny in the sky you could hardly see it."

Tuesday, September 23rd
"It rained last night."

Wednesday, September 24th
"The trees with no leaves. An Indian is shooting at the trees."

Friday, September 26th
"Today I went apple picking. I picked 1 apple and I ate it. It tasted sweet and juicy."



8 comments:

Shawny said...

His entries are almost poetic!

Stephanie said...

Those are so cute...I'm sure you are just cracking up as you write them out for him! That's such a great idea. You are a great teacher!

Anne Marie said...

Those entries are so precious. I love the one about trees on 8/28...it really sounds deep. I love how he saw a ghost and a giraffe. What a great imagination.

singin'mama said...

I especially liked the "for reals" part. Precious!

Hoosier Mama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hoosier Mama said...

sorry, i had to delete the comment... broke code and used his real name. Anyways, here is what I wrote: "Mr. T" told me a good one the other day. That he had a brother in outer space who hides behind the clouds. It was very cute. And he was so serious about it! I love your idea of a nature journal.

Lily said...

You know, alot of those could turn into great haiku's. Something was so beautiful about the birthday with a candle but no cake.

Mamabug said...

Wow - great writing skills! Really he is amazing with his thoughts and expressing himself. What a great idea - Nature journal - I might just use that one with my kids. thanks.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...