Thursday, September 11, 2008

"They're all mine."

I was watching a few extra kids today while our friends moved, and after doing as much indoor entertaining as possible, and feeding them supper, I decided to take the 5 boys and 2 girls outside. That way they could run more, the lightsabers had more space to swing, and we could all get some fresh air. The park proved a bit trying with the two one year olds, so I buckled the two little ones into the wagon and we went on a walk hunting for bears and spying on the movers. We had a great time, and they are wonderful kids, so really it wasn't that big of a deal for me to be a sole parent with seven children. But time and time again we were confronted with strangers whose eyes were bulging and asking the question, "Are they all yours?" Miss J finally asked me WHY people kept asking that question. I told her it was because I was the only parent with seven children ages 7, 6, 5, 4, 4, 1 and 1 - quite an impossible feat. The questioners always seemed relieved, though still amazed, when I would admit that only four were mine. I thought about how when we read stories together and they all clamored for my lap, how when one cries I automatically reach out and I realized that as a mother and friend to their mother, they are all mine. I love them all. I could never have seven children of my own, but I've mothered many through the years that I will always consider mine.

5 comments:

Shawny said...

You're a good woman!

Jodie said...

I agree with Shawny--you're a good woman!

This post made me think of Adrian's sister who has 9 children and the oldest is only 12. I realize that it's NOT an impossible feat, just one I wouldn't bring upon myself. :)

Debbi said...

I love this post! You made me feel so much better about my day-job.

Funny- JUST an hour ago, a man at Home Depot looked into my van, saw 4 carseats, and looked at me with this shock. The inevitable question. Followed by, only three are mine.

He was relieved, yah. And I thought- that ONE extra kid freaked him out??!!!! LOL He REALLY doesn't want to come to my house weekdays from 6-6!

d d p h o t o g r a p h y said...

oh this almost made me cry...what a lovely realization...as women, we do become mothers to many dont we...thanks for this..

Laura said...

AMEN, SISTER!!!! This is one of the things from the past we are missing these days. I think because people move around so much and don't feel like a part of the community as much, but I totally agree with you! I am a mother weather I am with my kids or not. I mother everybody. I still miss my preschool class from 2 years ago! And I am so sick of people freaking out if someone has more than 2 kids! The, "wow, you must be busy" comments are getting old. When did having three kids become a huge family? Our generation is just plain wierd.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...