Thursday, September 25, 2008

A Mother's Self-Esteem

I learned a long time ago never to let a child hurt my feelings. But that doesn't mean a child has no power over my self-esteem. I have encountered two instances recently that have made me feel a bit "uncomfortable" but I'll totally get over any lasting impression. A mother's self-esteem must remain indestructible if she is to mother others' self-esteems. (my own quote!)


Last night I had a child (not one of my own) confront me about a rumor that had been going around. About how my house is always messy and completely gross. I was a bit dumbstruck, as I do make an effort to keep our home clean, but also searched my memory for random drop-ins who may have seen my home at its worst and passed along the information. In the end the child went to check with his source who corrected him about which home it was (not mine), and I admit I felt a bit of relief, though also dread for the family of whom he was continuing to speak (having just experienced the embarrassment myself). I was also embarrassed by the amount of people he announced this in front of - people who have never entered my home, but may now have a picture of its monstrosity in their minds. But, oh well.


definitely NOT MY house :)

Today we were having unstructured arts and crafts time where we pull out all the art supplies (while the baby sleeps) and create. Mr. T is all about this and created a great boat. Little E not so much. I tried to convince him to help me with my project, which he did for a mili-second before running off to play. I called him over again telling him I needed his help to know how to make my art look the best. He pulled one on me and replied, "Mom, I know you'll do your best. Just do the best you can and it will be fine. You don't need my help. I know you can do it." So I sat at the child-size craft table finishing my artwork, feeling both silly and thoughtful over my son's remark. When I finished I of course showed my artwork off to my boys. Mr. T covered his laugh and told me it was nice and I'd done a good job. Little E laughed and laughed and laughed. He asked me if I was really going to hang that one up. I'm not quite sure how to take that. But I think it looks pretty nice and fall-y on our wall!


I need to acknowledge these small attacks to prepare for the inevitable "I hate you"'s of the forthcoming teenage era. I hope to smile and say sweetly, "I love you." (Because I remember how irritating that can be!) For now, my self-esteem is intact, and my artwork is hanging above the dusty coat rack.

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

I was very taken by surprise at how taxing the teenage years are on one's self esteem it occasionally makes me long for the physical demands of when they were little rather than the emotional demands :) OH JOY.

Sounds like you are aware and have a perfect reply for the future :)

Anne Marie said...

Love all your insights. And I do like your quote about moms and self-esteem.

Carla said...

I like your tree! (no suppressed giggle)

Lydia said...

Um, yeah, that was my house.

Stephanie said...

When Brayden was 4 years old, he told my friend that I had a "pretty big butt" when he was in her car going with her family somewhere. She laughed and said, "Brayden, your mom does not have a big butt." He said, "Oh, yes she does! When she sits on the toilet, her butt covers the hole." Want more???

Saydria was also 4 (there's a thing with my 4 year olds) and when I was sitting on the edge of the trampoline in my swimming suit, she said to me, "You have pretty chubby legs, Mom...well, not pretty chubby, just chubby, they're kinda fat." I told her it was only because I was sitting down and that my legs were being squished all weird and then I stood up for her. She entertained it for a moment then said, "Well, they are still just a little fat." Yes, thankfully they are mine and I love them, otherwise, they would not be welcome in my home.

Mamabug said...

Good reminder. Thanks.

Donna's Next Chapter Art said...

You have such great perspective. You will do fine when the teen years come and so will your children.

Brooke said...

I love it!! And you have the most interesting back yard I've heard about! ;)

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...