Thursday, May 01, 2008

Rich Reading

You may have tangible wealth untold:
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be –
I had a mother who read to me.

-Strickland Gillilan

I’m making my kids memorize this right now. I figure if my friend can have her boys wear a shirt that says THIS… a little poem can’t hurt!

I read for hours everyday; from board books, to scriptures, to easy readers and chapter books. And I always have a few of my own scattered around the house to read bits and pieces whenever I can. We have books in every room of our house (yes, even the bathroom). Way too many books. And then we go to the library to get yet more books. Usually we are back to get new ones before we’ve even returned the first batch, and so goes the cycle of library fines and our obsession with books.

Right now we are all loving the Magic Tree House series, and I’m also surprised how many of the boys’ picks lately have been the old loved board books that they used to ask for time after time day after day. Miss J and I always have a book going together too that we read after the boys are asleep. We recently finished Ella Enchanted and boy was that a fun read! We were almost done one night when I had to leave for a meeting with just two chapters remaining. The next day I had to confess that at midnight I was annoying my husband sitting in the hallway with the bright hall light on so I could finish the book and actually fall asleep. I had read it as a youth when it was first published, and maybe even since then… but oh how delicious it was to crave and give into the craving to read and complete a real page turner. I was ready for Miss J to chasten me, but instead she was excited to see my excitement.

A friend recently introduced me to a new blog full of fabulous tips and ideas of things to do with kids. Hop on over to see her list of good books to read to your kids.

Here are some of the books (the ones I can remember) that I have read to mine:

Charlotte’s Web
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
Pollyana
The Story of Hellen Keller
Anne of Green Gables
Half Magic

Little House on the Prairie
Ramona the Pest, Ramona and Beezus – and a couple of other Ramona books


My big tip for starting to read longer chapter books, is to do it regularly. Same time, everyday. They look forward to it, and it doesn’t give them too big of gaps between chapters so they can keep up with what is happening. I used to always read during lunch time. Their mouths are busy, hands entertained and they are seated and good listeners. Now I have them trained, and often they are begging for “just one more chapter.” I also agree with Marie at Make and Takes... the more fun activities you can do that correlate with your book the better. We were obsessed with spiders during the Charlotte's Web phase, and pretended to be blind and learn to sign letters with Hellen Keller... we even checked out some braille books at the library! There are a million things you can do to make the stories come alive. Unfortunately, there are often movies that are based on the book. I NEVER let my kids watch them until after we have read the book, and then sometimes they don't even care. Mostly though, they've discovered that wonderful secret where the book is always better than the movie!

With the summer on its way we are making our list of chapter books to read together on those long lazy summer days. What's on your list?

9 comments:

Camie said...

One of our favorites was "The Chocolate Touch". I can see your kids getting into that one!

Anne Marie said...

We love reading every night before bedtime. It's one of my favorite times of the day. You've got a great list there. We've enjoyed many of those. Roald Dahl has so many good ones. We're looking to read the Phantom Tollbooth and Fablehaven. I love Ella Enchanted. Gail Carson Levine has a new book called Ever coming out next week. I'm so excited for it. We've also loved Judy Blume books about Fudge (i.e. Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing).

Unknown said...

You're such a cool mom, Renee! We've been reading Farmer Boy by Laura Ingels Wilder the last couple of weeks-- we love it. I started reading to them at the dinner table after I get done eating (I inhale my food-- a bad habit I picked up from having an infant). It makes me feel really domestic to read at the dinner table-- something I can't always enjoy the pleasure of feeling. And it makes our house feel like home to have such a sweet routine.

Anne Marie said...

I just thought of one more book my boys loved last year, Pippi Longstocking. It was hilarious. I agree that the Magic Tree House books are great fun, especially for 4-8 year olds.

Camille said...

Try The Borrowers, Peter Pan, Tuck Everlasting, Little Women (for Julia), Rascal (for the boys),Bunnicula, A Little Princess, The Secret Garden; these are the ones I own, I can suggest many more.

Shauna said...

I can't believe I made your blog. :) We love books! And more and more books! We just finished the magic tree house series and the kids are itching for the last one that comes out in Sept. Max wants to start junie B. Jones next, but I am kind of leaning more towards the classics. WE shall see. I would love to see your summer reading list once it is compiled. Great Post!

Jennifer said...

Oh my so little time to list all the amazing books out there:) I would definately agree with Anne Marie on Superfudge and Fudge etc. Great books!!

My kids also sometimes enjoy hearing the books on tape at night in their beds.

Stephanie said...

Your house sounds like mine with all the books. The librarians at the local library know us by name we are there so often. My kids will sit so still and quietly when I read to them, it's pure peace of mind for me to see them so calm and enveloped in a book. We've enjoyed the Junie B's, Magic Treehouse series and Goosebumps. Saydria and I are just starting on Little Women. That's a great idea to compile a list. I'll check back soon. I'll be starting my own in the meantime! Thanks for the great ideas with the Helen Keller reading. I will definitely use that one.

Net said...

My boys love, love, loved Indian in the Cupboard. We also listened to Mouse and the Motorcycle not too long ago and that was a hit as well. I am excited to use some of these suggestions. Good post.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...