Friday, January 18, 2008

The Mitten Curse

Imagine, if you will, my yesterday… politely deemed the day of “the mitten”. As most days, our day started out with me scraping the van and loading up each child –checking to see that they were at least dressed for the day, and preferably wearing a winter coat. We were off to take Big J to school, Little E to Joy School and Mr. T and Baby J and I had one quick errand to run. Just as we are driving off, Mr. T announces, “I forgot my mittens!” Mean Mom that I am, I replied, “Too late.” Thus began the whining, the wailing, the gnashing of teeth (or chattering at least), and so I gave in. I turned around and allowed him to go get his beloved red mittens. We all make mistakes.

To make a long story short, everywhere we went Mr. T left a mitten. Walmart: we’re in the car, buckled in, “Uh oh. I think I put my mitten by that Pirate coloring book I wanted”. McDonalds: half of us are in the car, it’s snowing, “Uh oh. I think I see my mitten blowing by those cars.” I nearly died when we were at the Library and he brought me this book to read:
And I seriously did die when we were up the elevator, out the door, crossing the street to our car where the meter was about to run out when Mr. T quietly said, “Uh oh. I forgot my mitten.”
Squeezing his hand so hard it must have looked as red as his mitten, we went back for it, all while I muttered empty threats of “this is the last time we go back for your mitten. Next time you’ll just have to have a cold hand for the rest of your life!” But we went back. We always go back.

11 comments:

Shawny said...

Cute post Renee! Don't we just love the little hands the fit into those little mittens!

Michelle said...

what a great mom to go back!! i really can't believe the irony of it all! that is such a great book. we just read it the other day!

Lori said...

Renee -
I appreciate your honesty, your sense of humor and your realistic voice of a mother doing her best to raise her children. It's so hard to be perfect all of the time. I'm glad I'm not the only imperfect mom out there that sometimes yells at her kids. I don't think that makes us bad parents. We do sooooo many other wonderful things as mothers. Thank goodness for the words, I'm sorry. ;)

singin'mama said...

You are WAY nicer than me! I think at times my husband is convinced I'm the Ice Queen.

Anne Marie said...

Winter is such a pain with kids! All the coats and paraphanalia (sp?)! You are a sweetheart to go find the mittens.

Rachel said...

Ahhhhhhh! I feel your frustration! But it sure made for a funny, funny post! :)

Shauna said...

AH. The mitten! Super cute post. :) What a lucky boy to have such a great mom.

Dana and ohana said...

HA! We having been losing socks every 10 seconds around here and in the most random places...YOU are so kind to go back, not me! Cold feet only make you stronger!

Lori Garcia said...

Hi Renee!

What a cute story! You are so patient with them :o) I wish I had that kind of understanding!

Hoosier Mama said...

You are one patient woman! You'd think all us moms would be cross eyed by now.

Laurie said...

You are a much better mother than me. I may have let him go get them from the house, but after that, I know I would not have gone back into each of those places to get them. Wow! I am going to try to follow your example of patience. You are awesome! So, did you read the mitten book to him? I'm not sure I would have done that either.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...