Saturday, January 12, 2008

Putting on the Armor of God




I love family home evening! I love that my family - even the whiners - love family home evening. Once a week gathering together to pray, sing, play games, eat treats and have a little lesson... mmmmm, so good. Our kids especially love to act out scripture stories, so basically that's what we do. A lot. Last week, we were discussing our spiritual armor and read from Ephesians 6:14-17. Then we girded up our loins and acted it out. You may wonder how you act out a scripture that basically discusses the spiritual equivalent of each piece of armor. Well, we had each child have a turn to stand on a chair in their gear while the rest of us threw "the fiery darts of the wicked" (mini marshmallows) at them. It was a hit - literally! A few days later when I was hosting Joy School, one of the boys found a marshmallow (gross!) and declared his find. Mr. T corrected him, "That's not a marshmallow, that's the devil's fiery dart!" The marshmallow was immediately dropped! Gotta love FHE!

10 comments:

Kendra said...

Our pictures of this same FHE lesson are identical! (only we used cheerios for whatever reason) That was one we will remember for a long time! Gotta love FHE with the little ones!

Dana and ohana said...

Love the pretty pick bike helmet! Armor always looks better with the person wearing it has a good fashion sence!

Hope said...

I love it! You can't beat a FHE where throwing food is encouraged. Thanks for the idea.

libbie said...

FHE . . Whats that ??? WE gotta get better over here in that area. I always swear its going to happen, but never does. Maybe I will make that my new years resolution! I love the marshmellows and armor! So fun.

Anne Marie said...

What a great idea. I love your creativity.

Rachel said...

You have been one busy mama! The cabin hot tub looks heavenly! Heck, any hot tub is heavenly!

My kids eyes all turn brown by the time they're a year, but Kate's have remained this bluish gray color and she's 16 months. She just might be the one child who doesn't have chocolate eyes. You never know...maybe there's something to that number 4! Either way, both colors are gorgeous!

A cute FHE idea. It's one of my goals to be a bit more structuresd (opening song, prayer, scripture....) in our FHE this year. Pretty fuuny about the fiery darts!

singin'mama said...

I swear, your family does beat all at making sweet memories. so fun!

Kristy said...

You are SUCH good parents. I am totally going to use this idea with my boys.

Amy said...

Marjie- I would pay you to writem me up some FHE lesson plans. For some reason I have such a hard time thinking of creative things. Please?????

monkie mama said...

This is too cute! What a fun idea! How can you go wrong when an FHE lesson involves marshmallows? Let alone THROWING mallows?

Your kids are adorable!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...