Thursday, October 11, 2007

My Joy is Full

It's my turn to teach/host Joy School. These little guys are so much fun, and I find myself truly belly-ache laughing with them on a regular basis! Today we were talking about the joy of animals. We were learning about their homes, habits and then, the inevitable - what animals give us. The lessons plan suggested having a tray of items and seeing if the kids could match each item to the correct animal (for example, leather, eggs, ham). I sort of dread this lesson, because though I'm not a vegetarian, I'm sort of a vege-mom; I don't want to be the one informing my kids of the killing that took place for their turkey sandwich or neat leather shoes. Bothers me. So I began this activity with a little trepidation, and the boys cracked me up! They guessed most of the items correctly - even a leather belt as cow hide, and then we got to "chicken" and their minds and faces were blank. They had no clue! I had to laugh. The next one they missed was honey, but the guess was too cute - "a honey bird?"

On another joyful topic - Mr. Man found me a radio station that is already playing Christmas music! I am in heaven amidst all the carpooling I have indebted myself to! I am loving some favorite classics and enjoying some new ones. So my question to you, as I begin my search for some new Christmas music to own - what are your favorites, and why would I like them?

5 comments:

Kendra said...

Hmmm...so many to choose from out there in the big world of Christmas music. I love all of the classics but I LOVE my Peter Breinholt Noel CD...I listen to it all year round! And I really want to get the Sufjan Stevens (sp?)Christmas Album this year. Andy and I are into Indie though so I may not be of any help to you.

Kendra said...

im gonna go put on Peter Breinholt right now....

Anne Marie said...

I love the 3-4 year old age. They definitely say the cutest things. Christmas music...I got a Sarah McLaghlan (sp?) CD last year and really enjoyed it.

singin'mama said...

Now all the joy school songs are in my head. Thanks alot! Adam still talks of Joy school. I hope I can do it with Lincoln next year. I miss all those boys we had! As for Christmas music, I'm always prone to the Tabernacle Choir CD's. There's also a really good Gladys Knight Christmas album that I really want that is great. I also have a bit of a weakness for Barbara Streisand's Christmas, and Ella's Christmas (Fitzgerald).

Amy said...

I am embarrased to admit this, but Amy Grant's Christmas CD has been my favorite since I was very young. There is this song on it about Mary and what it must of felt like having the overwhelming responsibility of being chosen to carry God's Son. I still cry when I hear it. Its called Breath of Heaven. I love the soccer pictures (my favorite sport) and I too and a "vege mom" My girls love to visit the farm animals and sometimes I dread telling them, "were having chicken tonight!"

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...