Monday, October 22, 2007

Our Chicago Adventure

I haven’t the time to do our adventure justice. But I’m hoping a few short words and many pictures will capture our weekend… as I have a billion loads of laundry to do and still have to get myself and the baby ready for our trip this week to my brother’s wedding (not to mention leaving everyone else ready for STAYING)!

We left early Friday morning to drive to Chicago to get the baby’s passport. He wasn’t born in time to do it the “normal way” and so we had to do it the rush way (let me just tell you how impossible it is to get a two month old to pose “properly” for a passport photo – ugh!). I did something a bit spontaneous and decided to book a hotel and make a weekend of fun out of our obligation.

Here are some things I learned from our adventure in Chicago:
-There really are a dozens of people crossing each street downtown. (I always supposed that the movies had it all wrong and could never understand why they used all those extras when just one person could cross the street. I know, I’m sheltered. But it was amusing for me to be one of MANY crossing those busy crosswalks!)
-A suite is perfect for our size family. And a hotel with a pool makes any vacation complete and relaxing for everyone.
-A front carrier for an infant is a MUST in a big city.
-Wearing a front carrier with a 14 lb infant for two days straight may cause back pain.
-It costs $20 to park for 2 hours.
-A monkey backpack/leash can save a three year olds life. And add years to a three year olds parents' lives!
-Going to bed with the kids at 8:30 pm is a blessing after a LONG day of walking all over!
-Chicago pizza really IS the best – according to the kids!
-Our Wonderlab pass has been such a wonderful investment – we got into every museum we went to for free!
-Families of 6 DON’T take the trains and buses in Chicago – even for a “cultural” experience.
-When they’re spending a weekend doing construction on the metro line, a 40 minute car ride will turn into a 3 hour train and bus ride –with at least 3 transfers.
-The kids will still enjoy ALMOST every minute of it.
-And then you still have to return back to your car the same way you came! (This makes parking not seem so expensive!)
-Show up early to the museum if you want to get passes to the Star Wars exhibit.
-My husband is the best person to take with you on a trip.
-He sweet talked a lady into getting us passes onto the Millenium Falcon.
-We should have taken the advice of the man at the entrance of the Museum of Science and Industry – “I used to hate bringing my kids here when they were little. Good luck. At least they’ll sleep well tonight.”
-Mr. Man will LOVE the submarine exhibit and it will be worth it just to see his face light up!
-Be careful at the grocery store in Chicago… someone will inevitably be stealing alcohol and a million security guards will appear out of nowhere and begin the chase.
-Getting home at 1am means a very tired crew the next day, but it also means a weekend of fun and family togetherness was definitely worth it! (Oh, and we got the baby’s passport JUST in time too!)


7 comments:

Shawny said...

Love, love, love your pictures! Now I wanna take a trip to Chicago--but can I borrow that monkey tail backpack! :)

Kristy said...

Looks like a wonderful trip! I love all the fun pictures.

Kendra said...

come on! nobody has lived until being on a train and/or bus for 3 hours in a big city...at least they spoke english!:) glad you had fun! we like chicago too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making the time to do this post--I was so wanting to know how your weekend went. You certainly made some wonderful memories!!!

Anne Marie said...

You are a brave woman to go exploring in a big city with 4 kiddos. Looks like you managed beautifully!

Rachel said...

Now look who's SUPERMOM! Very impressive! A very well written!

Lori said...

Sounds like an exciting trip. I agree with your kids about Chicago style pizza. The best.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...