Sunday, October 14, 2007

Flying Solo

Mr. Man pulled out his back this weekend and is in a lot of pain. I spent this Sunday eternally grateful for all of his help in every aspect of our day! From bathing, to making a delicious Sunday dinner, to SOOOO much help at church – setting up, taking the baby during primary and of course helping juggle these kids during Sacrament meeting. Somehow I survived, but I felt like we caused more of a circus than usual. (Mr. T is on his steroids again right now, so he’s once again flying higher than a kite, and driving me absolutely crazy… needless to say, we’re not exactly on speaking terms right now. I jest, but seriously, DRIVING ME C.R.A.Z.Y.)

Here are some highlights of our day. We had Family Home Evening on Fire Safety, since October is Fire Safety Awareness Month – and since Big J had a firefighter visit and Mr. T went to the fire station with their classes. The kids love helping to “teach” and so they both shared their knowledge and we actually had a great learning time role playing and planning (for our first time) our fire escape plan! For treats we made and decorated cookies… mmmmmmmm! (As if any of my kids, especially Mr. T, needed sugar!)

(I love how creative they get with decorating!)
(Little E enjoyed decoating his lips, so he could "just lick 'em off, Mama!" - Don't you LOVE his eyes?!)
(Yes, still in PJ's - this was not a "Church clothes" worthy activity!"
(Look what my "crazy" boy made for me! So SWEET! Also note the haircut he gave himself on his "cycle" that we have yet to fix!)


I do have to mention that right before the blessings for the bread and water in Sacrament meeting at church today, Big J turned to me and said, “It’s half-time”! Cracked me up at an inopportune moment! WAY too much soccer yesterday, but also solidifies in my mind that she is all about the snacks!

So tonight I put Mr. Man in charge of stories and thus ensued a hilarious account of “Beauty and the Beast” – Little E’s choice, I might add! Mr. Man swapped the kids names for each of the characters, and soon we had the most handsome man in town, Mr. T, vying for the love of Belle, Big J, who was actually falling in love with the hideous beast, Little E because she decided to spare her father, Mr. Man from Little E’s captivity. I got to be Mrs. Potts with Baby J being Chip. I can’t even begin to say how fun it was to listen this storytelling and see how captivated and amused my adorable kids were! These are the moments I hope they remember.


5 comments:

Shawny said...

I didn't notice any circus going on at the other corner of the chapel--but then I was dealing with a trapeze show of my own. ;) I love your teaching creativity with the kids. So no Hilly Hundred for Mr. Man? When we were in the country this weekend, we got caught right in the middle of the race, and I wondered if your hubby was participating. Hope he feels better soon.

Laurie said...

Sorry to hear about your husband. You pulled off a great day solo though. I love Sunday's and spending time with just the kids. In spite of all the chaos, it's still great to just be together. And Dad's are the BEST story tellers. Hey, can you make my little sis' a cake for her birthday tomorrow? I'll send you some money if you'll email me your address at lmencl@cableone.net I'm glad that she had good friends to watch out for her since she is soooo far away from home. Thanks Renee!

singin'mama said...

I was waiting for Julia to say something like, "you are the FUNNEST mom EVER!". Well, that's what I say anyway!

Anne Marie said...

Hope your husband is feeling better soon. You guys are so creative. It's really fun how you substituted your names in the story.

Laurie said...

Renee, Hey I just found out that you did get a cake over to Lynnette for her birthday. Thank you so much!!! One thing that I really like is when I don't have to make my own cake for my birthday so thanks for doing that for her. I know that it was probably inconvenient for you since it's not like you are sitting around dying to make cake so please send me you address so that I can send you some money. I really appreciate your kindness and thanks for watching out for her out there. It's hard to have her so far away but I know that she is surrounded by good friends so that makes it easier. Thanks again!!!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...