Monday, April 16, 2007

I have a gas problem…

I know what you’re thinking… but no this isn’t the kind of gas problem that affects most pregnant women (though I’m not admitting I don’t have this one also)… but I have a completely strange disorder, and truly it too stinks.

I am scared to death of putting gas in my vehicle.

I don’t know why, honestly I don’t. I’ve gone over in my mind thousands of times the multiple of reasons why I may have this fear. I used to choke it up to lack of experience, because my manly husband didn’t think gassing up a car was woman’s work – fine by me! Then I went through the visions of my car exploding while I’m filling up and going through in my mind how I would try to unbuckle and save each of my carseated children. But it’s not that either. Is it the smell? The grunge appeal of a gas station? I have no clue. All I know is that when my gas gauge hits the half-way mark my anxiety begins. I try driving as little as possible, compiling in my mind the errands I can run at the same time in the same area, walking as much as possible and when driving attempting to use the gas as infrequently as I can – using the hills and cruising as much as possible. I’m nuts, don’t worry I know. At a quarter tank visions of running out of gas in the most dire of circumstances float in my head and I keep one eye on the road and the other on the gas gauge at all times. Now as I hover near empty and the inevitable fill-up looms before me, each short trip in the van fills me with fright.

My husband cannot even begin to comprehend, and mocks me quite openly. I don’t blame him. I tried to compare it to his fear of flying (sorry dear, this is the day we divulge all our secrets online!) When I first married this big strong man and we were on the plane to our honeymoon, I was shocked to find that he spent the flight clinging to me with his head in his lap – scared to death. Now when he knows he is going to be flying, he’ll spend the preceding week biting his nails and being completely nerve-wracked about his upcoming flight. He can’t help it. I don’t get it; I LOVE flying, but gassing up - UGHHHH! Mr. Man told me last night that I can’t compare this fear to flying, as gassing up takes less time than it does to fill up the bathtub and I’ll never be forced to gas-up for 13 hours (as we’ve had to fly).

So the time has come, any suggestions on soothing this completely unexplainable phobia would be fabulous. I need to fill up all the way to prevent the next fill-up from coming any sooner. The glorious feeling after I fill up is one of both relief and empowerment. I can do it! I just need to get it over with! Wish me luck.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Openly mocked is not true. Openly commenting on the interesting behavoir is true. The difference is how the comments are taken. Besides, what's the big deal of pumping gas?

Mr. Man

Kristy said...

Costco! Going there is always a happy experience, and there's something about saving a few extra pennies by filling up at Costco that makes it practically fun.

Anne Marie said...

Just do it! That's my advice. I've had to work on overcoming some of my own fears, and the best thing that has helped me is to not think too hard about whatever it is I fear and then just keep on trying it. Good luck.

Rachel said...

FACE YOUR FEAR! Visualize how great it will feel to gas up your car...oh the liberation!
I'm just lazy with this one. I prefer to leave it to the man of the house. ;)

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...