Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Commander from the Couch

Once again I have reclaimed my position of commander from the couch. I have been on bed rest since Monday and apparently it will be lasting until this little guy gives up his hideout and joins my little army. I have new appreciation for those who have been on bed rest before (including my poor mother) and really think we should develop a new term – maybe bed bound, or restless leg syndrome… something! I can’t help but think about last summer and our adventures in our castle (hotel) in Toronto. I honestly thought it was my most difficult summer, but now I’m glad that amidst the misery I tried to enjoy it, because apparently this summer will be a whole other adventure!

Two days have been tolerable… and already I’ve had a lot of help – both given and offered. My kids have been angels (most of the time) and I feel blessed. When I think of spending our life like this for the next three months, however, I either laugh hysterically or start crying just thinking about it. Except for my one leg (with incompetent valves) I feel just fine. 9/10 of me still wants to get up and sweep that crumbly floor, I want to run outside in the sunshine with my kids and I desperately want to get to a store and do some shopping for supplies! I’m allowed a half hour up a day (walking preferable to prevent blood clots and my rear from turning into a huge lumpy pancake) and then with as much discrimination as possible. The annoying part is that even after spending all day with my leg raised, it still hurts. While my healthy half tells myself that it doesn’t seem to be making a difference (at least in my pain level) I know it does, and that it can get so much worse! I remember having to bring my mom potatoes to peel in bed when she was stuck in bed the whole nine months of her last pregnancy! So far my kids are helping out more but also enjoying the freedoms that more responsibility and independence bring. Mr. T and I made little signs for his dresser drawers with pictures and writing of what is in which (shirts, shorts, underwear… etc.) The little guy is so excited about it and now is convinced he can really read! So good can come of evil running through your veins!

My postings may either get more boring or much more exciting – only time will tell. For now, any ideas and suggestions of fun things to do with the kiddos (or myself) are greatly appreciated.

6 comments:

Anne Marie said...

I am so sorry! What a pain!!! What did they put you on bedrest for? I feel your pain. I've done it three times (each time for 2-3 months), and it is the PITS. I hope that everything will go well, and that you will have tons of help. The good thing about it is you will be able to enjoy a slower pace of life (as slow as it can be with 3 kids in the house to still be in charge of). I treasure the time I got to read books and play games with my kids on a bedside table. It will seem like it will never end, but it will, and you'll appreciate your ability to move as never before. You're going to do an awesome job. Your most important work is getting you and your baby to the end safely and healthily; just keep telling yourself that if you get tempted to do too much. Best of luck. Research some good books for you and the kids. I love "The Read-Aloud Handbook" for new ideas of stuff to read to the kids; I just checked it out from the library.

Dana and ohana said...

I'm so sorry for you! I've ben on bedrest twice and it was hard but the babies were safe and healthy. Bedrest time is a great time to learn a new skill with the kiddos. This last time we did a bunch of scrap booking and silly story writing. We gave each day a fun title: Silly Songs tuesday.... Time flies when you are being creative.

Anonymous said...

I think you would find it alot of fun to spend your time doing literature review for the Macroeconomic Implications of Optimal Education Policy with Capital-Skill Complementarity. Preferably sooner than later.

Rachel said...

Oh Renee! You always have such a GREAT attitude about things! Three months? I think I would die! You are amazing and I think you will just have to let some things go for a while with validation...except blogging. We are depending on you! ;)
GOOD LUCK and keep us posted!

Topher said...

yea, that macrocrapinomic thing sounds fun. is complementarity a real word?

Anonymous said...

Not to use this blog as a public forum but yes, complementarity is a real word. Go to dictionary.com for the meaning.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...