Sunday, January 16, 2011

Burnt Offerings

We are lucky to have church at 11am for a while. I say lucky, in that we don't have to rush to get up and get ready right away on Sundays. I don't feel so lucky when my children and a room full of primary children I am trying to entertain teach are crazy hungry because it's well passed lunch time (our church goes until 2pm!)

At any rate, I had barely crawled out of bed this morning and Mr. Man was still sleeping when my two eldest boys came in bearing breakfast in bed. They kindly left us to be, to enjoy our breakfast, and then ran off to cook up some other surprises (and also make a nasty mess of my kitchen I might add). Our breakfast stared back at us: 2 tall glasses of water, and a plate full of four pieces of toast - well cooked toast that they had allowed to cool before adding layer upon layer of butter on each slice. I just couldn't do it. I swallowed the water (I am not an early morning drinker, and this was tough enough). And as I stared at what felt like our prisoners' rations, Mr. Man choked down some of the toast so that we could not only verbally thank them but also demonstrate our gratitude.

This had me wondering at what we must have made our parents choke down, and I remember staying on their beds to WATCH them suffer eat what we had made.

Mr. T and Little E were so thrilled with what they had done, they promised to bring us breakfast in bed EVERY Sunday. I tried to tell them nicely that that wasn't necessary and every once in a while was just fine. They were just so proud, how could I burst their bubble? Maybe I should have...

After our showers they approached us with their newest plan. They were going to make a restaurant on our front porch and sell toast. Cause who wouldn't love their toast - it's the best in the world. They would give out samples for a quarter, half slices for 50 cents and then a whole piece of toast for a mere dollar. They can't wait to start making money.

I think Mr. Man needs to give a little lesson on supply and demand.

For now, we'll be eating burnt toast with fondness.

(My house still reeks of it!)

1 comment:

The Wilsons said...

Oh, man--what a morning! :) Glad Mr. Man could be brave for you both!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...