Tuesday, January 11, 2011

everything is right on the surface

I'm sure I've mentioned before that the first time I dealt with depression I couldn't feel at all. I couldn't feel anything. The thing I missed the most was feeling love. I discussed with Mr. Man, in all seriousness, the option of giving my baby up for adoption. I couldn't feel love for my baby, and I also remembered feeling happy and love before... so maybe that would fix me. Mr. Man agreed with me that we would look into all the options, while silently freaking out inside. It pains me to see pictures of my first baby, because I was so far gone that I wasn't really present and don't remember much from that time. Maybe that's why I always ached for another baby girl, because I wanted to really experience enjoying a baby girl. I always felt cheated a little when I would find out time and time again that I was having another boy. But in a way, it's only just that I have my one little girl whom I cannot imagine ever being unable to love.

I remember when I was on the road to being healthy again that I was taking a shower when I suddenly began to feel again. We were living in Hawaii at the time, and in our shower there was a louvered window that you could literally look out from (if you were tall enough) while showering. I looked out and saw what a beautiful day it was, I could feel the sunshine. I could feel the water as it hit my body and cleansed me. And suddenly, on top of those two intense feelings, I could feel love again. Inside, I celebrated this moment. And I can still recall how significant this experience was to me; how incredible it is to "feel."

This time is different. This time I can feel too much. Everything is right there on the surface and I can barely contain myself with all that I feel. Tears are almost always there, brimming and pleading for escape. There are some of you out there who have done unbelievable things for me recently, and consequently overwhelmed me. I have spent hours crying after your deliveries, emails and phone calls have come. I don't feel like I deserve it; and yet I feel your love pounding through my veins. I feel too much and I don't know what to do with all that I feel.

Not feeling and feeling too much are both hard burdens to bear... at least for me.

Please bear with me as I try to sort through all of this. It's often too much for me to pick up the phone, or to reply to your messages of hope and advice. But it is very appreciated. Thank you.

7 comments:

Brooke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brooke said...

I know what you mean. I went through engagement, wedding, and the beggining of marriage, not feeling! Then the feeling too much a little thereafter. I'm sorry you have to deal with this! It's awful! But I'm sure that I speak for many when I say, you are wonderful, enjoyed and appreciated by so many people! For the short little bit that we were friends I thoroughly enjoyed your friendship, and am sad that we didn't have more time! But I truly hope to meet up with you again sometime! Feel better!
Love
Me :)

Camie said...

hugs to you my friend. Just know that I (and all of your friends, near and far) are here for you when you need us. No expectations--just pick up one of those books once in a while and know how much this old friend loves you.

Memories On The Go said...

Please know that from a distance my love reaches out to you. Oh, how I pray for your burdens to be lifted. I'm so grateful that you have such dear friends that care about you. Take one day at a time.

Joy said...

You deserve it. Totally.

The Wilsons said...

May your burdens become lighter as you press forward!!! Do what you can do, keep feeling loved, and don't worry about the rest (inasmuch as that is possible). You are doing a great job!

Amy said...

My little miss, I have been thinking about you a lot lately, wondering what you and your family were up too. I sure remember those days in Hawaii.
I think a few good things to remember about depression are that
1. it is not yor fault you feel that way- something in your brain is misfiring
2. It won't last forever- this too shall pass.
I remember when you started trying to work out everyday to get your endorphins pumping. I think that was after you started to feel better though.
I am sending you hugs and love and a little bit of warm weather from Mesquite.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...