Sunday, April 04, 2010

To My Easter Baby


To my son, on your birthday

Mr. T, this is such a good thing for me to be forced to sit down and think about you and how you have grown and changed in the last year. I hate to say it, but lately you’ve been driving me crazy and I have found myself focused on many of your negative traits and habits. And yet, now as I sit here reflecting on the fine boy that you are, they seem so miniscule in comparison. First, know that I love you. All of you; the good and the bad no matter what.

It’s crazy to me that one short year ago you were home with me, a small kindergartner, and now you are approaching the end of first grade. You have done remarkably well in school, and have impressed both your teacher and your parents. While your grades are outstanding, so has been your effort (as you work hard for your zeros) and you are one of the nicest little boys. I love hearing about how you succeed so diligently at your secret missions, and then go out of your way to stay in for recess with the little boy who can’t go out, or play slowly and more nicely to another child who needs that kind of friendship. I cannot believe how many friends you have made in the short time we have lived in our new town. Walking home from school with you, or going to the park, means that dozens off children of all genders and ages will call out your name and smile and wave at you, and I know that it is because you have done the same (if not more) to them. Despite the many friends you have made from being friendly, you have also found a really strong friend base. You know who those boys are. And I’m happy for you and proud of you. These boys come from great homes, they are wonderful influences, and I hope you will continue to “hang” with them for many years to come.

It’s been fun to watch you trying new things. From football to wrestling, you are willing to give your best, though it breaks my heart to see you literally aching when you fail or fall. You are still my little sensitive boy, and I only encourage you because I know you can succeed at so many things, and I know it is best to learn about failure while you can still be loved and held and learn to boldly bear it. One of your greatest loves, I’m afraid to admit, is video games, and it’s amazing what sort of achievements you will make, jobs you can do, and books you will read to gain tickets for screen time. Lego is another great love. I’m pretty sure that is ALL you asked for and received for your birthday this year! And I think it’s all over your room pretty much always as well. You have a great imagination and love to play for hours with your legos or with your friends inside or outside.

You’ve recently become much better at piano. It’s like it just hit you and suddenly you are passing off songs like nothing else. I think you’re enjoying it too, though you make practicing seem like it hurts – but what little boy (or girl for that matter) doesn’t? You are also a huge gamer and will do anything to drag anyone into a heated game of RISK or The Great Museum Caper with you. And goodness know you are good. And sneaky. Dad and I often worry about your shady future, with your sneakiness combined with your huge obsession with large sums of money. Please don’t rob any banks in the future, okay. Another trait of yours is the singing while reading… you SING all the words you read from books, signs, homework… you crack me up funny boy, and maybe that’s the point.

We’ve had a sick winter at our home, it seems, and you’ve stayed the healthiest. I really feel the miracle of your health. Watching you run faster than many of the other children your age just about makes me cry. You are doing so well, and I hope you know the many prayer and tears that this Mom has had over you; you are so blessed. And boy howdy have you gotten tall! You are wearing size 8 pants now and I can hardly keep up with you! And speaking of pants, I’m not sure exactly what six and seven year old boys play to get so many holes in their pants, but I’m awfully glad you think dark patches on your jeans are cool, cause I’ll keep ‘em coming as fast as you keep bring home holes. Not sure if anything will get passed down to your brothers though.

Speaking of which, you are a great brother. You get to be a little brother and a big brother, and I love watching you fill those respective roles. Each of your siblings adore you and fight for time with you, begging to have sleepovers with you or play wii with you or be read (sung) to by you. You are a wonderful person to have in our family, and I’m so glad I get to be your Mom.

I think we’ll have a better day tomorrow now that I’ve focused and reminded myself how wonderful you are… and I’ll just ignore the many hiding places and stashes of toys and clothes you have left around the house, or how you snuck the allowance money out of my money jar. Because one day, not too many years from now, these annoying trifles will be done away with and you will be gone, and I’ll wish for today.

Happy birthday son.

Love, Mom

1 comment:

The Wilsons said...

Renee, I so love how you do these letters to your kids, writing down your observations and insights, your feelings and impressions. I love how you record highlights of their age and things you want to remember. I LOVE these letters and hope that some year I will actually remember to do the same thing for my children (every time I see one I go "Argh! I forgot AGAIN!")! These are SO special!!!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...