Monday, April 12, 2010

Ancestor Wall

In my church we are encouraged to do family history work, or genealogy.  Mr. Man is a saint when it comes to this.  He spends a lot of time digging and researching until he finds names, dates and places.  And he loves it to no end.  Finding out about your family is fulfilling. 

I have taken the command to do my family history differently.  My Oma has got us back to close to Eve (jesting, but far anyways) and my Dad takes his side as seriously as does Mr. Man.  I'm not sure if I would be the one to spend hours on end researching even if it wasn't being done by other family members.  Instead, I love collecting the stories. 

Perhaps it's the writer and reader in me, but the stories are what I feel tie me to these ancestors.  The names are hazy, the dates a complete and utter blur - but I love the stories.  A few years ago I compiled journals from Opa and made a book for family members for Christmas.  I included pictures and loved hearing about his childhood and remembrances.  I think it was a wonderful gift.  I try very hard to call Oma at a designated time each week so that we can chat... but I am always sitting at my computer typing away as she recalls her memories and stories to me.  It's almost too easy to get her talking!  I've also collected almost all of our family member's "love stories"  (on both sides) and I hope these will be a precious legacy of love for future generations. 

But now on to my next project!  I have been collecting pictures of ancestors and also finding old frames (or else making new ones look older and antique-y) and am just about ready to get all these people (and with them their stories and lives) up on my wall.  We painted our front room this weekend and now the pictures are preparing to go up above my piano.  I look forward to pointing out the faces to my children and sharing their stories.

For me, this is what family history is all about.

7 comments:

Net said...

I love the stories too. That little boy looks just like Little E.

Kendra said...

I've been wanting to do something like this too - as I remember I got the idea when Laney had something like it on one of here walls when she lived in Bloomington. Thanks for the reminder!

Amy said...

That is SO cool! I hope that you will take a picture of the pictures hanging on the wall when you are done.

Last year for my grandma's birthday I made her a scrapbook of major and minor events events that occured in 1932- the year she was born. I also scanned and restored old black and white pictures that went from birth to the current time. It was so fun!

I think that is great that you are recording all of your grandparents love stories and other memories. What a treasure that will be!

The Wilsons said...

Wow. What wonderful and super valuable things you're doing! I am very impressed.

Carla said...

ok, that picture TOTALLy looks like mr. man and... little E I think (I always get t and e mixed up) I love that part... the who looks like who part. and i'm certain it's going to be a great addition to your family room! can't wait to see pics.

Boyz Zone said...

You guys have some seriously strong genes!!!

My Many Coloured Days said...

The little boy is my Mom's father! So funny that some of you think he looks like Mr. Man!!! I have to find the one of Mr. Man's Dad that looks just like Mr. T!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...