Wednesday, April 14, 2010

On the Way

We went to the library today. I hate our library.

But we had books to return and books on hold and more books to search and find.

On the way there, Little E was flipping through a book which was basically a body encyclopedia. (We recently finished a body unit in school.)

He was really quiet and suddenly announced, "I'm glad I'm not a girl."

"Why's that?" I asked, smiling, and curious as to his answer and reasoning.

He didn't skip a beat: "I just read how a baby comes out of a mother and I think that it would really hurt. I'm glad I never have to have a baby."

So now he knows. Of course, since I love giving birth I gave him my little spiel about how amazing an experience it is, so empowering, like when you do something really hard and then you feel good about yourself and the reward you get for doing something difficult. He mostly ignored me and kept reading. And I thought, this is why I did it. I have a little boy who can read and think and communicate. And while I'm okay with the fact that he's glad he's not a girl, I think he'll make a really good husband and father one day.  And knowing it hurts will only help that.


We got books about weather and Greek mythology today.  Should lend for safer discussions.

3 comments:

Camie said...

I hear you on the library thing. We were extremely spoiled in B-town! And while I can't say I LOVE giving birth, I'm definitely with you on the amazing, empowering experience thing. And I can't believe Little E is reading! I feel like he was just learning to talk!

Amy said...

That is so funny- yeah it hurts- so obey your mother because she deserves it!

You amaze me with your devotionals! Do you hold training sessions:)

Shawny said...

Now I'm convinced, you need to move here. Our library is really superb, but I agree, B-town's was pretty awesome! As for birth, Rex just asked me the other day about where babies come from. Maybe I should just spill the beans, or maybe I'll just wait until he can read and slip him a book.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...