Thursday, February 12, 2009

Breast Pads

Do you remember those? Oh my goodness, how the memories came "flooding" back as I found one at the bottom of my underwear drawer this morning! Some of you may still be in the midst of that initial swelling and soggy breastfeeding, and I can only say two things: 1. enjoy it; 2. it does get better.

When I think back to my first experience with breastfeeding, I feel like a complete idiot. It was horrible. I had issues that my doctor convinced me were not issues, and a wonderful lactation consultant who aided and abetted but finally admitted that my daughter and I were not breastfeeding compatible. (Long story short, really.) That was definitely not fine. I had just suffered a traumatic birth with an emergency c-section, I was stuck on an island a million miles away from home, in a hospital with a leaky ceiling and a rat in the elevator, I was way too young to be having a baby, and now I sucked even more because my child wouldn't suck on me. Talk about lack of bonding, and in hindsight I am not at all shocked at the events that thrust me into horrible postpartum depression. Anyways. Breastfeeding Nazi that I felt I was, and with a bit of pressure from those around me, I pumped. I pumped every three hours (or so) for exactly 6 months (because that's how long my Mom nursed her kids). In the morning I could easily extract 12-16 oz... I was a milking machine, and literally felt like a cow connected to my fancy dancy dual pump that I could even take with me in the car should we be out for the day. Ironically, my daughter suffered from some small medical issues that were resolved as soon as we switched her from breast milk to formula. But for six months I pumped, and I was a provider of nourishment. With all that I was going through, it was the least I could do and it was the best I could be as a mother.

When I was pregnant with my second child, I was determined to work with my doctor ahead of time, and try again to nurse sans pump. Pumping had actually helped resolving some of my "issues"... so that was a blessing. Months before my child was born I was leaking milk. Literally could squirt across the room. (I know you wanted to know that.) Insert memory of breast pads. I was blessed with a sweet, quiet, sleeping, practically perfect nurser. And breastfeeding took on a whole new meaning for me. Once we got the hang of it, and besides a few bouts with mastitis, I loved breastfeeding. At one point I tried pumping so I could take off for a day, and I couldn't believe how much it HURT to pump. Not knowing the alternative, I had never imagined. Breastfeeding was beautiful and bonding. However, I was soon pregnant and didn't have enough milk for my baby and so we had to substitute with formula and bottles as well.

My third wasn't as easy to nurse as my second, but still nursed incredibly well. And OFTEN. He refused to take a bottle, pacifier, anything and I succumbed to not only using the breast for feeding, but comfort as well. He nursed for around 15 months, when Mr. Man and I went away for a week and he had to be weaned.

And now my 18 month old, whom I had labeled as "the un-weanable" baby is still nursing. And I have such mixed feelings. Mr. Man and I even went away for a week... and I had weaned him for a week before, and now we are back to our old habits. And we're both to blame. I love nursing him. It is so easy to sneak in an extra hour of sleep in the morning with him snuggled up next to me latched on and dreaming. I thought I would be horrified to have a child who could "ask" to be nursed, but I actually love that he can sense when he needs that extra comfort, love, or perhaps even nourishment, and can tell me. I've come to the point where I don't feel embarrassed of my mothering him this way; I feel confident in my choice. I know I don't want to be nursing him as a reward for potty-training, and so I see us quitting sometime before he hits three! But for now, I will enjoy this last baby of mine and the uniqueness of nursing and holding a child of God in my arms for longer intervals than a wiggly 18 month old would ever commit to were he not nursing. But I am grateful I no longer need those awkward breast pads!

11 comments:

Jodie said...

I hate breast pads. And am still using them. Grrrrrr...

libbie said...

Me and breastfeeding have a love hate relationship. I finished up a couple of months ago. I was pretty proud of myself for making it to 9 months! I think I will feel different when I am on my last baby too. I will probably hold on as long as I can, knowing it will never happen again . . . AND, breast pads are my best friends for the first 6 months! I make so much milk!

Debbi said...

I hate nursing. I hate having leaking boobs. I loved pumping (fast and easy). And I nursed all three kids-- because it was good for them.
Glad you feel much better about your nursing now than with #1.

Kendra said...

breast pads are awful....i just leak right through them, not to mention they look awful. I do like lily pads however, if any readers are interested... just google it.

I have to admit I've been quite spoiled in my breastfeeding experiences (besides having a minor issue with the first). All have gone great, and I love, love, love it!

pumping - I'd rather shoot myself.

Christina said...

What a beautiful, honest blog about breastfeeding. Thank-you for that! I teach breastfeeding to new moms and I just finished breastfeeding my baby, although I only made it to 9 months. I was so inspired by your blog!

Sarah said...

I blog hopped here and really enjoyed this post as well. I'm glad to hear women speak/type who feel pro-breastfeeding!
I had so much milk with my 1st that I was able to continue nursing her while being pregnant (oh, the amount of food I could eat guiltlessly!) I ended up weaning my 1st at 13 months, 2nd arrived the next month and I weaned her at 15 months.
There really is something special about the cuddly time you get while breastfeeding and the satisfaction that you alone can provide what your child needs!

Jedda said...

Your post makes me smile. We are at the same point (the asking for it that I didn't know if I could handle) and I've been thinking the same things...It's such special time that I will be sad when it's over :)

Dana and ohana said...

I did the same with Ansen. I just held out a little longer before i stopped. I just wasn't ready to give up on that phase of my life...and then it just sorta happened and it was okay. Good post!

Shawny said...

I only wish I needed pads. In fact, I envy you women that do. I buy them for every pregnancy and always end up giving them away. I wish I could say I loved BFeeding, but with my last I mentally marked off every day until I'd reached a year. I'm just not a milk producer, sadly! I have to squeeze every drop out when I pump--torture, pure torture! :)

Laura said...

ENJOY EVERY MINUTE!!! Ours is the ONLY country where nursing for years is NOT the norm! I nursed each baby until they decided to quit, it made weaning so easy and natural. Gracie was 18 months, and Anneka quit at a 12 months (before I was ready frankly). It was the only time "on the go" Anneka would let me snuggle her! It's so easy to wean when they're older and you're doing it less often. I can relate to the initial problems. During the first three months with Gracie I thought I was going to DIE! We had so many problems!! I won't stop nursing Ashlyn until she wants to stop--and she loves to eat! I'll have to visit soon and we can nurse our big babies together! ;) LACTIVISTS UNITE!!

Laura said...

Check out the funny breastfeeding t-shirts on cafepress.com
There's one I'll have to get for Baby J that reads:
"Yeah, I'm still breastfeeding...
JEALOUS??"

I got one that says:
"I make milk. What's your superpower?"

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...