Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Big Purple Coat

(the tree I picked the other day)

Last year I contemplated this post – it could be in my journals somewhere for all I know… but I had hoped not to post it until I could grace you with a beautiful “before” and “after” shot of the new, updated and hopefully fashionable coat. But alas there is no new coat, and yet the story begs to be told.

Years ago, when I was 14 and shopping in the mall with my Mom and sister (most likely walking a few feet either behind or in front of them – annoyingly I was that kind of teenager), we happened upon a store that was going out of business and clearing out all of their winter wear. My “jacket” was going on a two or three years of wearing and was starting to climb up my wrists. Mom generously offered to buy both of us our own brand spankin’ new coats – I think I even got a hat and mitts to go with it. The coat was, in the early 90’s totally “in” with the aqua stripe to match all the aqua mini-vans that were coming out. Anyways, the coat is seriously the warmest thing on the planet. I never shiver where the coat covers and am always the warmest Canadian around (after living in Hawaii that was a difficult title to re-claim). Another 14 years have passed and that silly coat just won’t fade, rip, or become tattered in any shape or form (except in my mind’s eye). I am desperate for a new coat, as the big purple Barney coat is anything but flattering or fashionable… but I just can’t spend money on a new winter coat when I have a perfectly good, I mean, warm one.

Oh I’ve tried. I’ve shopped clearance sales, determined not to have to undergo another embarrassing winter wearing the coat of death. But I’m so picky as to the fit (I have abnormally LONG arms), I need pockets for kleenexes, extra mittens, chapstick, etc., I hate the kind that have in inner and outer layer , and of course it MUST be warm – and I just can’t find anything comparable to that factor that is within my budget (which really is non-existent for the time being!)

This year I’d had it. I’ve basically frozen walking around wearing the green fleece or other skimpy jackets, so mortified am I to be seen in “The Big Purple Coat”… but the cold has come and my pride has withered away and it seems another winter (my last, I swear) of this horrid coat has commenced.

So should you see me walking around (trust me, I can’t be missed) just know that I may look like Barney, but I’m not feeling any ounce of cold – except for my feet (cause don’t let me start about the aqua boots I got to match the coat that year!)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Truly no one but you would think this coat is ugly. Did you know that purple is in this year - with aqua highlights. I kid you not! I have been reading all about it in the latest women's magazines. You are IN girl! Enjoy it and walk tall and fashionable!

Anne Marie said...

You look gorgeous!!! I would think nothing of the color combination. And, I'm so impressed that your coat has lasted so many years.

Jennifer said...

I feel your pain.

It was years before I could justify a new coat for myself and I cringe when I look at the pictures of what I wore until that time :)

When you made that purchase i bet you never imagined you would be able to blog about it years later :)

Mamabug said...

Wow what a great long lasting coat! Really that is nice to have a warm coat for so long and the colors aren't too bad.
I have a brown down-feathered coat which I like, it is very neutral but I have a terrible habit molting where ever I go.

Anne Marie said...

I thought of one more thing to be happy about...I envy the fact that you can fit into the same jacket for so many years. I weigh much more than I did 14 years ago (or however old youre jacket is) and would die to fit into that same size.

My Many Coloured Days said...

That's the thing - the jacket is HUGE and not form fitting at all. I'm sure it could fit ANYBODY!

Hoosier Mama said...

Don't worry, I won't laugh at you. You can pass it on to Miss J in a few years - doesn't she love purple?

Camille said...

Your coat may be old but it has not had the history of numerous wearers to accompany it's age. The winter coat that I continue to wear has been worn by two sisters of another family before coming to ours. Then it was worn by you and my other elder sister before coming to me in my late elemetary school years and I have continued to wear it for a good ten years since and continue to. It has had to be mended and soaked in oxy clean time and time again to continue to look and keep out the cold the way it does, but it still live and works, therfore I like you shouldn't complain. I do think your coat is In though.

Carla said...

Ok I am TOTALLY shocked that the coat is THAT OLD! It's in perfect condition! And very thin to be so warm! It really is too bad it's purple.

Amy said...

irst of all, I adore the way you write! You need to write.

Secndly, I enjoyed catching up on your last three posts. I love Harry Potter! We are still too young around here to engulf ourselves as a family - we get nightmares from much less scary things! Did you hear about J.K. Rowlings new book due out on Thurs? The Tales of Beetle the Bard - I think that was the title. It is a spin off of Harry Potter from the book Dumbledoor left to Hermione. Should be good.

Next- love the BFF conversation! How old is J? Time sure does fly.

Lastly- LOVE the purple jacket story!!!! You look great hugging a tree! My girls' love purple! I guess you could start asking for donations:)You look just fine in it silly and warm is important!

Brooke said...

ha ha! That's funny! That is a GOOD coat if it has lasted that long!! I think you look great!!! Although I understand your pain!

Lori said...

I thought this was going to be a "tree hugger" post because that's what I noticed first in the picture - not your coat. Funny story though. Now you have to keep it - you could write a book about it - make it a celebrity...:)

Jeff and Kylie said...

You need the book "The purple coat" by Amy Hest (a reading rainbow book). Also, I just saw a coat excatly like yours in the lands end catalog. It's called the squall parka "sized to fit over a sweater" oh and "plenty of pockets" although they don't have purple! You should check it out!

d d p h o t o g r a p h y said...

ok im laughing literally out loud at work right now...I HAVE A PURPLE BARNY COAT TOO!!!!! mine is 10 years old and i hate it with a passion, but it keeps me warm, and i cant find another one, and it was the only stupid colour at the time! and everyone comments on it when i am forced to wear it..wow that is a purple coat..lol thanks for your post, ill think of you and know there is someone out there in the world who is like me on cold days...

devon :)

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...