Thursday, November 06, 2008

Election Year

Truth be told I was hoping to be able to vote this year. This was such a fantastic election, and I would have loved to have been a part of history. Several weeks ago I took and passed my citizenship test, but only just received the date of which I will say my oath and be officially sworn in. Afterwhich I will be a naturalized citizen of the United States - fair and square; it has cost me hundreds and hundreds of dollars, time and stress. And in four years, I'll be able to vote for my first time ever... oh, and I'll also be over 30.

To compensate, we're running our own mini-election here at home. The position at stake: Sunday night's dinner. Each family member has nominated a fruit, vegetable, main dish and dessert. (We even had a couple of duplicates.) The tension in our home has risen as each person, supporting "candidates", begins campaigning. Posters, speeches, even bribes have ensued. And hurt feelings too. We'll see how this goes, as we may have some sad losers. Suddenly, even though beef stroganof has always been a family favourite, the boys are adament that it is inherantly evil and horribly tasting, while Miss J fights frantically to convince them of the benefits of electing this main dish. Thankfully my parents will be here to add a few more votes. I saw this idea, very much elaborated, in some parenting magazine in a doctor's office. If it goes well, it may become a new November tradition.

Speaking of election year and November traditions, we seem to have a nasty one in our house. Four years ago, our hot water heater was leaking and apparently had completely deteriorated the drywall of two of the walls in our home so that they were collapsing. Days before hosting a household of people for Thanksgiving, I had maintenance come in and tear down, dry out, and rebuild the walls. A horrible time. Four years later... on Tuesday we were running a small load of wash when a few gallons of water started leaking out of our utility closet. We called maintenance (yeah for not owning our own house yet) and they decided something was clogged and brought in the snake. We went to the park and returned to a find a note requiring us to NOT use our washer and CONTACT the office IMMEDIATELY. I picked up to call right when maintenance returned to my door to share the dreaded news. They had broken a pipe. Now they are going to have to jackhammer up all of my floor and basically we have to leave our house for at least three days while they work. At least this year I'm NOT hosting Thanksgiving. And thankfully we have wonderful friends who are letting us camp out and have an "adventure" as we're calling it. Originally the work was to begin yesterday (my parents arrive for a few days today), but thankfully we won't be kicked out of our home until early Monday morning. The plan is that we can sleep back in our own beds Wednesday night. Time will tell.

Well I best go and make a cute poster suggesting you all vote for lasagna. Actually, I'm thinking stickers may go over well here.

10 comments:

Scott and Tisha said...

My vote isfor stogonoff, we had it just the other night and it was great- sorry boys. Good luck with the votes.

Debbi said...

Oooh, I TOTALLY back the lasagna!! Lasagna or bust!

Amy said...

You are such a fun mom holding elections for dinner - what a great way to teach your kids about the democratic system.

Sorry abouth the broken pipe - I hop eyou have fun with your parents - in 4 years, I'll be over thirty too! Sorry you missed the vote.

Laura said...

I vote lasagna, too. Are you accepting absentee ballots? I'm so sorry about the pipe. What a hassle.

Andrew said...

Given the most important issue in both Canada and the United States right now is the economy and its uncertainty, in order to win my vote I would like to know which main course will save tax payers (or Mommy and Daddy's wallets) more money and fuel the economy in a positive way. God bless democracy.

Brooke said...

I propose you take wonderful advantage of this luminous opportunity and just come out and stay at MY house! Our luxurious beds await you and your children! We serve breakfast lunch and dinner everyday! All made from scratch right here on site! By our household renowned chef (yes, that would be me!;) We will provide playmates for your children and a fabulous hostess AND friend just for you! (do I get your vote?????) That is sooo cute! You always have these wonderfully adorable ideas! I have to admit I envy!!! And you always seem to have these disasters that you deal so well with!! (even if it is only on the surface) you just seem to take it all in stride! I'm sorry you have to deal with it though! But as I said... consider it! ;) We're open 24/7!

Anne Marie said...

So sorry about the pipe! I love the idea of the election for Sunday dinner. You are such a creative mama.

Jennifer said...

I love the voting idea.

And isn't it amazing how quickly it can escalate to bribing :)

I have missed reading your posts. I hate being busy :)

Kristy said...

Well, I am very excited to see how this turns out! I would vote lasagna.

lani said...

I remember the first time they tore your wall apart! Good luck getting back into your house. And I love the idea of dinner election--I'm going to have to copy you on that one.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...