Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Muggling

We’ve hit a huge “Harry Potter” hype over here. We read the book together a couple of years ago, and so I thought it would be fun to listen to in the car. Huge hit. We’ve been measuring out wands (which are definitely my weapon of choice), practicing gibberish spells and playing quidditch (not the safest indoor sport, I’m finding). For movie night I let the kids watch the first movie, and they loved it – and we’ve only had a few nightmares since. I’m often having to get into character and be whichever teacher at Hogwarts I’m told to be. Quite fun, especially when I’ve been feeling not at all magical and mostly like a Muggle.

You know how it is. The day to day grind. The “just trying to get a few things done off my to-do list” while my toddler climbs up the piano or swings from my curtains while throwing some sort of dried up nasty food bits at my head. I’m not blaming my fourth child on anything: I love him to pieces, we all do. The age he is kicks my butt, but it’s not just that either. It seems that since I gave birth, or even since I was pregnant I’ve just been kind of muddling along. There were the excuses for why I couldn’t get in gear beyond the day to day – “bedrest”, “just gave birth”, “exhaustion”, etc. But while I am quite sure I will always be a little bit tired for the rest of my life, I’ve lost that extra umph somewhere and keep thinking it will be just around the corner when “I’m no longer Primary President”, “Mr. Man has a job”, “I have my own little house”… and yet, I know that’s just gibberish. I used to plan all sorts of fun things, and now I feel like the holidays and events that used to cause me to plan and party just sort of pass by pleasantly. I’m must muddling through… or muggling I suppose.

Maybe it will get better. Perhaps there are parties and projects in my future or perhaps that’s just a part of my past. Either way, I feel happy muggling. Though ordinary, I’m content and satisfied. It makes the moments of magic that much better. The moments where time stops and you realize just how adorable that little smile is, how significant a sentence spoken seems, and how incredibly loved you can feel to have someone special wash all the dishes after a long month of applications. I’m thankful to be a Muggle. But in the meantime, I’m off pretending to be Professor McGonagle.

6 comments:

KVB said...

I guess there was some event on campus that was like a hall Harry Potter event. Their Quiddich sounded kind of fun. A combo of dodgeball, frisbee, and hide-and-seek. I bet Mr. Man makes a great Snape, what with all that long greasy black hair ;)

Carla said...

Awe, I feel similar. Toddler-hood STINKS!!! I used to have fun, but for now we're just plugging along-waiting. Waiting for the next good thing to come our way. I've gotta invest in some crafty supplies!!

Brooke said...

You too huh? I agree with Carla. Maybe it is just so many little ones so close together. I don't know, I've never had a house full of teenagers! I keep hoping that when I 'm done breast feeding I will feel so much better! You're not giving me much hope! I'm still going to hope though! And wait for that around the corner ;) Happy Thanksviving!

My Many Coloured Days said...

PS - I'm NOT done breastfeeding - but don't get me started on that one! I have birthed the un-weanable baby!

Anne Marie said...

I love how imaginative your kids (and their mama) are. Your little guy is at a very exhausting stage! Not to mention you have 3 other kiddos to keep up with. And, don't worry if it takes a few more months to wean your little guy...enjoy it while it lasts. I kind of miss those nursing days (not enough to get pregnant again though). I do you think you muggle along beautifully.

Mamabug said...

I too have a faint longing for the day when my husband has a job, we own a house and other such American dreams. Every once in a while the little "green" bug of jealously bites me but I try to chase it away as quick as possible. I must admit that the bug's bite doesn't last as long as it used to. I just think -sure one more year or two and then the "real" life starts - whatever! Life is good now - I just have to look around and remember and then I am quite happy for the moment.
Good luck to the Man with job hunting. We are doing that too. It will be interesting to see where we will go next!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...