Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Follow-Ups

A friend paid me a compliment the other day that has kept me thinking and wondering, and judging myself, my writing and especially my blog. She compared my blog to a book she is reading which consists of multiple unrelated, though interesting and thought-provoking, essays. And so I ask myself, can anyone follow my posts? Are my thoughts so random and unrelated? Can you keep up with my life? Are you left with questions and wondering what happened next? I admit some of you drive me mad when you mention the dilemma of what to fix for refreshment for bookclub and then never reveal what you ended up making. I will often check to find out how a child is faring who has been ill, or wait patiently for a friend who has announced she is pregnant to truly dish how she is feeling... and looking. So you see I am a two-faced blogger.

So for the sake of not driving myself, or anyone else mad… I propose a question and answer blog. I will run a few follow-ups and then allow you to ask any question you want (though I may or may not answer… as I’m the queen here!)

*My back is still horrendous, though improving day by day and the pain is duller thanks to my son’s prednisone that found its way into my body. I still can’t lift my baby or bend over, though I did manage to sweep my floor tonight (it’s been left amuck since Saturday). Thanks to some wonderful friends and an incredible husband, I survived 2 days straight on the couch (oh the memories). And thankfully the Lord has answered my prayer for my baby to be extra tired and he is taking two naps again! I can’t believe how much a back can affect your life. Incredible. I will be so grateful when this is over… and it will be, right?!

*Baby’s head has healed up nicely, though it is a lovely shade of pink now and seems to get more comments now than it did when it was a nasty owie. I think he just needs another summer coat to even it out. We’ll see. (Ooops, there I go again, leaving you with more things to wonder about.)

(And yes, he's eating food off the floor at a church halloween party. Gross.)

*Positive reinforcement has worked wonders and the food that ends up on the floor from baby is usually accompanied with a worried look, as it tends to be accidental. He is also doing more signs now, so that is nice for communication. He loves to “clean up” and sing the song and do the sign. He sounds more like “eeengg guck” though, and it makes me laugh! On another note, that I may not have mentioned about baby, he sings himself to sleep. Usually you can make out the tune “I am a child of God.” I love it.

*Mr. T missed his fever last month and is looking good for this month too (knock on wood). We’ve been struggling a bit with some of Little E’s behavior, and have been discussing and praying about whether homeschooling Mr. T has affected him. While the solution to that problem isn’t quite apparent, I have felt very strongly that keeping Mr. T home has kept him healthy, and for that we are extremely grateful. Plus we’re having fun learning together.

*As for homeschooling, many of you have questioned what curriculum or method I am using. Really it is just a smorgasbord of such. I consulted with friends, read a few books and then bought some that I felt would be interesting and fun for us. Some I love, others are okay, but really, it’s just kindergarten and I’m not too worried. I have goals for what I expect him to have learned and what level I want him at for next year, but we’re not too rigid. My weekly “plans” that I created have run out and this week it was by the seat of my pants and we still did okay. It’s definitely a lot more work and I have to be willing to let other things slide (which is hard for me), but it’s enjoyable too. He’s a fun, sweet kid and that makes it exciting, and I hope one day he remembers that his Mom taught him to read.

*Miss J has continued to make lists and plans galore. She is currently organizing a talent show, manhandling a few organized playdates, and creating Christmas creations for cousins. Not to mention spending hours each week at gymnastics - with which she has a love hate relationship....I know, that's a whole other post though. We're all excited for the next two half-school-days!

*I swear I never used to have these sorts of problems. Last thing to go through my wash: a tube of lipstick. Totally my fault. And totally didn't come out with any of the suggestions I found in my homemaking stain books or online. Frown.

Any questions?

8 comments:

Debbi said...

well, I guess my brain is as jumbled as your friend seems to think your blog is, because I follow it fine! So no questions from this end!

Anne Marie said...

I love reading your blog. I love your insights into the experience of being a mom. I am totally satisfied. Thank you for continuing some of the stories you've begun. I really hope your back continues to feel better. As a mama, it's so hard to take "sick days". Here's one question: "Have they really found out why Mr. T gets the fevers?"

Hoosier Mama said...

ah oh. I hope you didn't think my "compliment" as your blog being jumbled and hard to follow... what i was trying to say was that I love how you can take a simple thing that happens in your day and write beautifully and thoughtfully about it, relating it to other parts of life, like this book I told you about. I feel like my post are mostly: "This is what I did. Here is a picture." Anyways, it really was meant as a compliment, and that I think you are a talented writer!!

Camie said...

You crack me up!! This was a fabulous idea--a follow-up blog! I love the idea! And since you haven't ever seen one of my pregnancies, I'll fill you in--news of how I'm feeling during pregnancy is very BORING. I'm blessed to have an easy time and there's nothing different about how I'm feeling except that my house is noticeably messier and I'm only making decent dinners half the time. Otherwise--business as usual!! And I'm not showing, but I'll share pics when you can see a change! But I think I'm going to copy you and do a follow-up one of these days. And I love your blog--I think you express yourself so well and your 'voice' comes out perfectly, which I admire. Keep up the great blogging work!!

singin'mama said...

Melaleuca Solu-mel gets everything out that I can think of! Maybe one of these days you'll let me give you a presentation!

singin'mama said...

Oh, and I've always thought you could publish all of your entries on this blog and you'd sell millions! You are a gifted writer!

Unknown said...

This young lady has been a writer ever since knee high from her journals, to writing winning road shows, and now this wonderful blog.

Definitely a book in the making.

(Biased)Dad

Laura said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG!! It helps me so much not to feel quite so far away from you and Mr. Man and the kids. I miss you all terribly and wish my life wasn't so crazy because I would love to drop everything and come visit. Say a little prayer that we can sell our house and come see you soon. You are a talented writer and I look forward to reading every new post.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...