Sunday, October 19, 2008

The week that hasn't even really started yet

It's been a bad day. I admit. Mr. Man will return around 1am tonight and that is a very good thing. I can't believe he used to leave for a week or so every month. This kills me. My sister-in-laws who are going through months of this are saints.

He has our van (and our second car passed away several weeks ago) so we are on foot. Which really is fine. Except for when you're walking for 1/2 hour to church and your four year old decides now would be a good time to tell you that his church shoes are really WAY too small and he has horrible blisters on his heels so needs to be carried while you push the stroller. Then it would be extremely convenient for your daughter to suddenly get a stomach bug of some sort that entails both vomiting and diarrhea (I hate that word), which would mean having to make a huge scene in sacrament meeting and then walk home again (though, thankfully a friend happened to be in the hall to perceive what we were about to do and drove us home, and thankfully nobody vomited in her van).

Three hours of church was actually something I was looking forward to on a in-house-bound day, so it was a LONG day for all of us. Mr. Man and I spent some time on the phone doing our weekly planning. Incredibly the week is already completely filled up with no room for incidentals (or stomach bugs - are you reading this?!) I'm already overwhelmed and NOT looking forward to the week. I've been spending some time pondering how to make it survivable, and I decided I'm going to be Summer Mom this week. Remember her? So, now I'm filled with less dread, more hope and actually a little skip to my skepticism. Here's to the week that hasn't even really started yet; may you all have the sanity and strength to survive, and maybe even smile!

9 comments:

Kendra said...

here's to a sane week.

i feel like my past year has been in survival mode....

will this craziness never end?

Shawny said...

As we passed you on the way to church I tured to Steve and said, "I wish we had a huge van to take you all in!" Sorry it was such a crummy day!!

Hoosier Mama said...

Here's hoping to sanity as well. When Matthias left I kept thinking, I need to be more like Renee, have fun things planned, be prepared with people to help, etc. He didn't leave me with any time to prepare though. I'm going to have to interrogate you at the play group today - see how you did it.

Mamabug said...

Good luck with your schedule - and I always remember this when I am about to willing torture myself ... "And this too shall pass." And it does.

Anne Marie said...

So sorry about all the craziness! Hope the stomach bug ends with the one kid. And hope you find a few moments this week to catch your breath.

Jennifer said...

I hate that "d" word also. Wish there was another word to describe it :)

It is never a good sign when I am dreading something that has not even started huh? :)

Good luck on your week. I hope it goes well.

Amy said...

I don't know if there are words to explain to you how much reading your blog makes me miss warm Hawaii days and the pleasure of your friendship.

I wish you a happy survival week. I have also decided that if you are still willing, I will pleasantly subject myself to your harsh, friendship-ruining :)editorial skill, because at least I know it will help bring out whatever good writing I have in me.

Amy said...

Oh, I see . . . you are editing me already. Does this mean you agree to take up the job for my book?

Brooke said...

all said and done, I think summer mom was brilliant!!! I really think, at least for me the inferior mom, that every now and then if you wanna come out sane, summer mom mode is REQUIRED!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...