Saturday, October 11, 2008

Toddlerhood: The true test of Motherhood

Today my son pulled the stool out of the bathroom into the dining area so that he could climb onto a chair and then onto the kitchen table. Later he continuously threw his stick as far as possible into the street so that he would have a valid excuse to run into the street. This was after he had covered his body and mouth in blue marker (which still won’t come off, but blends in quite nicely with all of his self-inflicted bruises). And I swear, all of this took only about 24 minutes of this entire 24 hour day. It’s enough to make me want to run into the street
These years of toddlerhood are not my favourite at all. Give me a newborn until he turns one, then give me a potty-trained, fully-speaking three year old and I would be a happy Mommy. Yes, the age seems adorable, but I’ve been fooled with the best squeezes and smooches which turn into a bite – so I know better. Cute and innocent right? Right. But oh, how my prayers have changed as I plead for more patience… as mine is once again being constantly tested.

9 comments:

Camie said...

Now I guess Greg is getting used to cars and trucks travelling all over the house like they did when you guys had Clayton! He was at this busy, exploring age the whole time we were living by you guys--it's BUSY BUSY BUSY!!

Lori said...

Yes, toddler keep you on your toes. Mine has added climbing to her list of things she can do. Oh, and hitting her sister - repeatedly.

Laura said...

Oh, I remember those days--and I'm about to be there again! If I could send you energy in a bottle, I would! The speed with which they can do something absolutely disasterous is astounding (involving things like pudding, nail polish, or poop). The test for being committed is "the individual is a danger to self or others." By those standards, technically all toddlers should be in rubber rooms! They require so much attention, but I'll be honest, "one" is one of my favorite ages because they still nap, they usually love to snuggle--and do so with so much genuine affection, and #1--you don't have to worry about potty training yet!!

Anne Marie said...

I really do think the toddler years are a crucible of sorts. Totally crazy! And, I do think the toddler years only get crazier when the kid is further down the lineup in the family. Number 4 will certainly have access to things your first would never have, just because there are 3 other kids playing, drawing, and leaving things out. My #3 and #4 got into mischief as toddlers that my first two never dreamed of. Good thing your toddler is so adorable.

singin'mama said...

Who needs exercise when you have a toddler right? It's good to take pictures so you can look back and remember how adorable he was.

Mamabug said...

Yep I am almost to that moment in time. So far, my baby just empties cupboards and climbs step stools but I did catch her with a pen the other day. Luckily she hadn't gotten to the wall or floor yet. I cringe to think how much we will pay for drawing "damage" to this apartment. Last time we had to pay 800 Euros so that is about $ 1,081.64 (but who is counting?) Sad thing was the pen drawing on the floor only covered 6 inches of scribbling.

Net said...

I'm right there with you, but for some reason, it seems easier this time around. It's either a gender thing or the fact that I only have one in this stage instead of two. Just remember this is the last time!

libbie said...

I totally agree with you on this one! Toddler are SO hard!

Carla said...

totally with you and he's not even walking yet!

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...