Monday, October 06, 2008

Warm Fuzzies

Do you remember these? I attended numerous kinds of “conferences” as a teen: youth leadership conferences, student council conferences, young women of excellence YMCA conferences… and more. I loved these, often weekend, retreats. Loved the friendships developed, loved the leadership skills obtained, and the fun-filled activities and warm fuzzies. Warm fuzzies were where everyone would have to write something wonderful about you on some sort of paper – whether one large one on your back, or several smaller ones placed in an envelope with your name on it. I still have several warm fuzzies from years past which are a reminder of the girl I once was. Reading them make me laugh at times and events that no longer make up who I am, but definitely have shaped who I have become.

A few weeks ago my Mom called and asked my advice. I know, I was shocked too. My amazing Mom had an organizational dilemma that she thought I would be able to help her solve… I laugh, since I have gained my organizational skills from my Mom and all her great housekeeping skills and examples. And yet… Her problem was such that her journals are too full of notes and cards that she cares to keep, mostly thank you notes for all the extraordinary service she continually gives, and she felt that she needed to find a new system for storing them lest she break the bindings of her journals! I had to be honest in telling her that I don’t have a system for such cards, and that I typically will read such heartfelt cards, use them as a bookmark for the book I am in the midst of reading and then discard. In recent years though, I have decided to keep such special cards in the back of the book I have read, and since I have a habit of re-reading the books on my shelves, I now have several notes to re-read at these times as well. I just started re-reading a favourite book from my shelf, and the card in the back was indeed a warm fuzzy and a great treat to remind me of my worth.

So while it’s not a great organizational tip or tool, it is definitely a treasure and something worth sharing – though I wonder if my own mother has as many books as she has thank you notes!

6 comments:

Hoosier Mama said...

I'm running into the same problem with art work - I was thinking of taking photos of favorites and putting them on the computer... I hate storing. I still have some YW warm fuzzies as well, they meant so much at the time. Hmmm, maybe I should follow suit with my own YW.

Anonymous said...

Funny. I was just reading a book I borrowed from you when just such a card fell out. I've been using it as a bookmark as well (mostly because I was worried I would loose it!).

Anonymous said...

It's early in the morning and I can't sleep--too many concerns on my mind!!! You certainly gave me a warm fuzzy in what you wrote--thank you!
Oh, and my cards are now being stored in a colourful box -- saves on my journal bindings!

Anne Marie said...

I really miss handwritten cards and memorobilia (sp?). It seems that since we've entered the digital age, I have written and/or received fewer notes and rememberances.

Lily said...

That is such a great idea! I have notes tucked all over the place and sometimes accidently stumble upon them and it is serendipidity! Time pauses and then rewinds when I recall the memory, staring off with the special paper in my hand.

Jennifer said...

that is a fun idea. I just have a box full of thankyou notes that I never have time to take out and read. I like your idea much better :)

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...