Monday, August 11, 2008

Meet Me in St. Louis

We decided to meet grandparents half-way, and met for the weekend in St. Louis. We enjoyed our time together and especially the opportunity to go the LDS temple there and enjoy the free zoo too. It was a LOT of walking, and was a pretty humid day too… I was happy after just seeing the hippos, but the kids had to see EVERYTHING (even though most of the animals were hot and tired and napping in hiding)! So it was a long day and they were pretty tired out after our two days of hotel swimming and playing together.


I’m not an animal lover by any means, but I think that the hippo is my new favourite. He was so extraordinary to watch, and I loved learning all these fun tidbits, humor me while I share my excitement:
-a hippo can hold its breath for five minutes under water
-hippos ooze a pink “slime” that protects them from sunburn and also helps wounds from getting infected
-its blubber helps it to be more buoyant so it can float in water
-hippos spend most of their lives in water, that’s where they mate, give birth, play and even fight
-its ears are on the top of its head so that the hippo can be mostly under water but still hear what’s going on above… if the whole head goes underwater, the ears swivel to shake out the water when the hippo resurfaces
-the eyes also sit on the top of its head so the hippo can be mostly underwater and still see what’s going on above
-the jawbone conducts sound waves, so a hippo with its jaw submerged can hear sounds above and below the water at the same time!
-nostrils are on top so that the hippo can breath while mostly underwater, when submerged the nostrils close
-when the hippo relieves himself, his tail swishes back and forth so that the dung flings around into tiny pieces so that fish can more easily eat and digest!!!


Always a fun time with family… and I love these mini-vacays better than the week-long ones! Less laundry!




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

She failed to mention that the reason why she took a photo of the Giraffe is because she wants it skinned and sown into couch cushions.

I may get in trouble for sharing this one.

Mr. Man

Camie said...

Fun weekend trip!! I never made it to the zoo in St. Louis. Thanks for the info on hippos--it's always good to add to my collection of random animal facts!

Anne Marie said...

Looks like a very fun time. I agree that sometimes the shorter trips are the best. Great hippo facts. Good ones to share with my boys.

Stephanie said...

It was fun reading about the hippo. I think you have me sold on that thing, maybe entering my top 3 animals, but only because the hippo is so gracious to break up their poo so that the fish can eat it better. I mean, that is seriously soooo nice. :) You look so great for 28! Look at you, an accomplished public speaker, future author and you even look like a model reading a Stephenie Meyer book. Happy belated birthday and congrats on getting the man of your dreams/checklist. :)

Donna's Next Chapter Art said...

I LOVE the St. Louis Zoo! You have to let me know the next time you are going to St. Louis so the girls and I can come down to see you!

Laura said...

OOPS! I'm on my mom's computer and forgot to change the blogger identity! That was me, not my mom, wanting to come see you!

Jennifer said...

St Louis is the best becasue of all the great free stuff to do.

And I agree with you about mini vacations they are the best.

I don't think I realized Hippos spend that much time in the water.

Balancing & Blogging

I've come to the conclusion that balance in life is only attained when one limits the extent and experiences of ones life. Maybe not.  P...